Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Song replacement patches

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Since I have a lot of left over songs I did that didn't make it into the mod, I'm going to start making song replacement patches, which will eventually someday turn into a 'soundtrack B', but for now will just do a couple here and there, starting with the overworlds:

Energy Breaker - The Prayer Bells do not Toll
Replaces WoB Overworld (FFIV/DQ Alefgard Remix)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dap5ktgdp3lcozx/Energy+Breaker+-+The+Prayer+Bells+do+not+Toll.zip

FFIII - Dark World
Replaces WoR Overworld (Underworld - Terranigma)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9897vacuaeyf3o8/FFIII+-+Dark+World.zip

Note that these patches do not change the in-game Music Player song titles.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
you should make a solid list of all songs, eventually people can pick and choose which songs they want replaced with what, not saying you gotta go and do everything for everyone but hey lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
What could be done and really in a easy way is make a console song replacement app. What would be needed? A music ROM map with song data pointers start (1 offset), instruments data start (1 offset) and song ID, name and length of the 255 songs currently in the ROM (255 FF6 song IDs + 255 song names + 255 song data sizes). The second thing needed is all replacement song data and instrument data. If you have 30 replacement song this is 30 .song files and 30 .inst files. If a song name is "Final Countdown", you'd need final_countdown.song and final_countdown.inst. That's pretty much it on Gi Nattak's side.

For the app (let's call it "rotdsmusic"), since the song name would be in a .txt file you read or simply by looking in the app folder, you could just type "rotdsmusic final_countdown" and a list of up to 255 song name choices would pop up in the console. For a song to qualify, final_countdown must have a song data size equal or smaller that a song of the choice list. To keep this simple, if your replacement song data is bigger than all songs in the ROM, you can't replace it. It could be done with extra free space info but let's not get to this yet.

The list choice would be labeled as an example "32 Frog's theme". 32 is a generic ID not related to FF6 song ID (in this case there would be at least choice 01 to 31 prior to this). Many way can used from here but simplest would be you type "32" and Frog's Theme is replaced by Final Countdown. At this point we could even export Frog's Theme data and put the .inst file and .song file with the replacement songs. If you re-run the app, Final Countown would now appear in your ROM choices if you retype "rotdsmusic final_countdown" (song data sizes of 2 copies of the same file are equal). If you want to be really dumb you could even replace all songs smaller or equal to final countdown by final countdown. You'd then have an 80's hack.

This is a few hours of work for me (but not a lot) but if Gi Nattak plan to have more than 10 replacement songs or so, it's something that worth to be done IMO and something that is more flexible than 10 patches. I would not do a GUI app because it would expand my work of twice or three times the time taken to code it.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (07-01-2017), SSJ Rick (07-01-2017)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Well that sounds really cool, thanks! I will definitely have more than 10 replacements. Once I get some more song replacement ideas I'll get on the few needed things.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-01-2017, 03:33 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Once I get some more song replacement ideas I'll get on the few needed things.

Great! We can discuss this more in detail on Discord in the future. The app can be expanded to take free space in account and I'd like to eventually turn your version into a general FF6 song replacement app for any hack, which would be only slightly different from your version to take in account more customization.
  Find