Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Musical Themes for Characters 0E and 0F

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
At first I was opposed to adding extra characters to the party roster, however after seeing many of the hacks that have been created by this community, I've come around to the idea. With MMMMMagic 2.0, Guest Adder, Replaces Possess Command, and Equipable Umaro, all that's needed is a small hack to give everyone a desperation attack and some event editing to recruit them and properly place them in Kefka's tower and you are good to go.

Of course there's more to a character than that. They need to be plot relevant and they need a theme. We can even use there themes as to give them a special ending after the end credits roll. I'm sure there is a lot of great music already present on the Vanilla game that could serve as character themes for new party members and I've locked down one for my patch all ready. I just need some suggestions for a second one.

The one character for this that I've figured out for sure is Banon. His arc is left totally unresolved and unaddressed. His health/pray command can be easily inserted into a spell menu to expand his skillet later in the game. Finally, The Returners can easily be used as his personal musical theme.

The next best character in my opinion is not Leo. Bringing him back undermines not only his death, but Cid, Rachel, and Daryl's as well.

I honestly believe that the next best character is Biggs. Biggs makes slightly more sense than Wedge because like their namesakes Wedge dies and Biggs survives. He is also established characters with a full sprite sheet and Portrait. I honestly have no idea what to give him for a musical theme.

That said, with Catone's Expanded Battle Sprite patch there are a couple other people that make sense as well. Cid and Arvis come immediately to mind.

I'd really love to hear your suggestions for what characters make sense to you and what you think their musical themes should be. Please share them.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I agree, I'm a bit tired of people wanting to realize their childhood fantasy of reviving Leo. That been said, Biggs is a good idea. I don't see much other FF6 characters that could fit maybe except Arvis or creating a new one from scratch. I could see Biggs with the Red Wings theme from FF4 (available in the song data list). It may sound cheesy but would be a breath of fresh air compared to the imperial song of FF6.

I don't really have other idea. The most original thing would be to incorporate a new character never seen with his own music theme but this does require skills in spriting, music and require a bit of event coding (which you'll have to do anyway probably).

The Expanded Battle Sprite patch might be a bit overkill, the expansion can be easily done manually for a single spritesheet but both options work.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Timbo (03-20-2017)

Status
Brave
(03-19-2017, 09:05 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I agree, I'm a bit tired of people wanting to realize their childhood fantasy of reviving Leo. That been said, Biggs is a good idea. I don't see much other FF6 characters that could fit maybe except Arvis or creating a new one from scratch. I could see Biggs with the Red Wings theme from FF4 (available in the song data list). It may sound cheesy but would be a breath of fresh air compared to the imperial song of FF6.

I don't really have other idea. The most original thing would be to incorporate a new character never seen with his own music theme but this does require skills in spriting, music and require a bit of event coding (which you'll have to do anyway probably).

The Expanded Battle Sprite patch might be a bit overkill, the expansion can be easily done manually for a single spritesheet but both options work.

I love Final Fantasy IV, and including the Red Wings as an additional song is actually a fantastic idea. You took an idea that I was iffy about and made it feel strong by setting it to music. Thank you. My idea was to have a scene with Biggs and Wedge shunted off to a remote area of the world after their initial encounter with Tritoch. Wedge would be mortally wounded and with no armor, supplies, food, or shelter they would have to endure the elements and fight for survival. Biggs would be fused with his armor essentially giving him the Magitek command without needing the armor. The desperate situation would lead to some character developing arguments that reveal their true feelings regarding the espers, enslaving Terra, and how they themselves have been enslaved by the empire.
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(03-19-2017, 02:18 PM)Timbo Wrote: Biggs makes slightly more sense than Wedge because like their namesakes Wedge dies and Biggs survives.

Not to nitpick (ok, yeah, to nitpick) you've got it backwards. Wedge Antilles goes on to be a significant recurring character in the EU and major force with the Rogue Squadron while Biggs dies in the battle with the first Death Star.
  Find

Status
Brave
(03-21-2017, 06:53 AM)B-Run Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 02:18 PM)Timbo Wrote: Biggs makes slightly more sense than Wedge because like their namesakes Wedge dies and Biggs survives.

Not to nitpick (ok, yeah, to nitpick) you've got it backwards. Wedge Antilles goes on to be a significant recurring character in the EU and major force with the Rogue Squadron while Biggs dies in the battle with the first Death Star.

Oh my Science. I mixed the two up. I should have known better. I'm kind of obsessed with Star Wars.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(03-19-2017, 02:18 PM)Timbo Wrote: The one character for this that I've figured out for sure is Banon. His arc is left totally unresolved and unaddressed. His health/pray command can be easily inserted into a spell menu to expand his skillet later in the game. Finally, The Returners can easily be used as his personal musical theme.

The next best character in my opinion is not Leo. Bringing him back undermines not only his death, but Cid, Rachel, and Daryl's as well.

Well heck, keeping Leo was the reason I came here in the first place.  Hmm

But agreed on Banon. In the hack I'm working on, Banon (1) is present at the dinner with Gesthal as the official leader of the Returners, (2) Accompanies Terra, Locke, Celes, and Leo to Thamasa, and (3) Dies in Leo's place defending the Espers in Thamasa. It still keeps the gravitas of that scene, and arguably gives it more. Banon is a father figure to almost everyone, and is the founder of the Returners. His death is a punch in the gut to everyone. Now that he's gone, who can hope to stand up to the Empire? Who is going to carry the torch? His murder also becomes the catalyst for Leo defecting from the Empire and joining your team.

Leo, in turn, joins your party as soon as you land on crescent island, taking Locke's place. (Locke is encouraged by Terra to go with Celes.) This makes him a playable character in the burning house and esper cave. He takes Celes's Runic ability, while Celes gains "Jump" (and the use of spears). This is explained by NPCs to be the reason Leo was able to rise to prominence without Magitek. He neutralized his opponents' ability to use magic. There is a relic available in the Phoneix Cave that changes Runic to Shock.

In the WoR, Leo takes Cyan's place on Mt Zozo, writing letters to the loved ones of all of his troops who died while fighting the Empire. He feels responsible for their deaths. You recruit Cyan by waking him from his nightmare in Doma. You get his SwdTechs in the Ancient Castle.

Now, back on topic. For Leo's theme, I've been using Epitaph. Even though it's just a remix of Setzer's theme, it fits perfectly in all of Leo's moments. The point is that he's a gentle soul, and that theme communicates it. I haven't yet figured out what to do about the ending.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
PowerPanda, I must say that I really like your Banon implementation ideas and reasoning for him being present more, and alas meeting his dire fate in Thamasa. It would be much more heartfelt (imo) than some enemy general the party has basically just met. And then of course you can still have access to Leo, everyone's man crush lol. It would add a lot of credence to Leo then switching sides. I've played the General Leo hack and I could picture this being more believable and well executed.

As for Leo's theme, I don't feel like Epitaph is the best choice for him. I mean, I see your point, but it is a rather depressing and non-heroic tune for a battle-tested Imperial general, be he a sensitive soul or not. And most of all, it is a remix to Setzer's Theme, and everybody associates it with Daryl's event... I'd recommend going with something custom (add a song) since it's highly doable these days. There's this one by William Kage (would need to get a midi created if it obviously): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyE_WFz18M BUT, I feel it is much too uplifting and doesn't really feel like General Leo to me at all either (Sorry WK)... but it's more of the direction I would go when looking for a song to suit him. I'm trying to brainstorm here some possible fitting songs... FFIX You Are Not Alone comes to mind... Something along those lines - proud, badass, fighting for justice and his new found friends. But, I suppose it'd depend when his theme song was introduced.

As for a possible Leo ending... maybe... MAYBE... he, could, die! Lol. Shrug

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Brave
(04-15-2017, 01:36 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: As for a possible Leo ending... maybe... MAYBE... he, could, die! Lol. Shrug

Genius! You could actually have him killed by a dying Kefka in the same manner during the escape sequence. It's the perfect f**k you to fan service!
  Find