Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Dark Mirror

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
Chronologically, this hack will be a sequel to FFVI.

[Image: 2vulb2t.jpg]

Siegfried is a man obsessed with hunting down his double, his doppelganger. There's a twist to the "imposter", as well. Unlike the canon story, here the imposter isn't a man. Nor a monster. It's something else altogether.

On the rare occasions Siegfried manages to corner it (yes, "it"), it proves invulnerable to any weapons. It looks exactly like him, yet its nature is unknown, a complete mystery.

So the story involves not only following the tracks of the doppelganger, but also finding out more (anything, really) about what it is. And finally, learning the means to destroy it.

I took the liberty to change Siegfried's personality, too. He will be a more grim character in this hack. It fits better with the type of story I want to tell.

A brief glimpse of the intro:

To reflect the time period -- roughly two decades after the events of FFVI -- the towns you visit will be revamped. Generally speaking it's a time of prosperity, so expect the architeture to be more sophisticated (or more decayed).

It's also fitting that the new world currency is Gil and no longer GP -- courtesy of Angelo's Restored Ability Names patch.

In terms of gameplay you can expect Siegfried to be quite powerful. A lot of the times he'll be fighting alone so his survivability will be high by necessity. The difficulty will be casual, it won't be a Hardtype/challenge hack.

Siegfried is a swordsmaster, so I gave him the 'Spirit' ability which draws out the spirit of the sword and makes it perform feats of power. Not every sword has a resident spirit inside it, so sometimes that command might be grayed out, much like Runic or SwdTech, depending on the weapon you have equipped. It's essentially a retooled Lore, with some pretty diverse options. Siegfried won't have the 'Magic' command -- AFAIK he did not commune with Espers in the canon story, and I see no reason or need for him to have other powers besides those of his Spirit skill.

Since a video is worth a thousand pictures, here is a brief, improvised demo of the Spirit ability:

There will be elements from horror literature such as author H.P. Lovecraft and his "Cthulhu Mythos". So you can expect some monsters/enemies to be lifted or adapted from his fiction. As in all good Lovecraft stories, the tone will be ominous and oppressive. Some dialogue (mild spoilers):

If you have any suggestions, feel free to add a comment/PM me.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
seems pretty cool, i think that siegfried port could use a lil work, was it one of pocos old ones? skills seem rad
i quite like the idea of him chasing down the imposter

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
None
(05-31-2016, 10:33 PM)JWhiteLXXXIX Wrote: seems pretty cool, i think that siegfried port could use a lil work, was it one of pocos old ones? skills seem rad
i quite like the idea of him chasing down the imposter

I think it's Poco's, yeah. It does look a bit odd I guess. Maybe I can try editing it in FFse. Just hope I'm better at it than with spriting.

Ofc, the imposter... why didn't I think of that. I must do that one. Should be fun, too.
  Find

Status
Imprisoned
id be more then happy to sprite you up one, its seems you have a good idea for a hack an i love encouraging that! it'll prob be on my saturday stream.
but yeah have the antagonist as the imposter and siegfried having to go undo his damage or something

Status
None
That's awesome, I'm looking forward to it. I'm a visual creature to my core so these things definitely matter to me. Thanks for the help.

I'll watch your stream on saturday, I might even learn something Objection! 

Can you test something for me -- are the image links working in the OP? They were loading an error page.
  Find

Status
Imprisoned
your links look fine man

Status
None

I changed the concept of the hack. It is a much darker story now. Much, much darker. You might even call it a horror story.

There are no longer mini-arcs; there is one main storyline.

Siegfried is a man obsessed with hunting down his double, his doppelganger. There's a twist to the "imposter", as well. Unlike the canon story, here the imposter isn't a man. Nor a monster. It's something else altogether.

On the rare occasions Siegfried manages to corner it (yes, "it"), it proves invulnerable to any weapons. It looks exactly like him, yet its nature is unknown, a complete mystery.

So the story involves not only following the tracks of the doppelganger, but also finding out more (anything, really) about what it is. And finally, learning the means to destroy it.

I took the liberty to change Siegfried's personality, too. He will be a more grim character in this hack. It fits better with the type of story I want to tell.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Looks really cool! I dig the story and concept. Reminds me a bit of The Gunslinger, by Stephen King, which I loved.
Glad you've picked up the event editing so fast as well, this is definitely a good sign! Looking forward to this one. Smile

Status
None
Yeah I'm learning stuff at an alarming rate, and it's all thanks to this awesome community. I have the resources and the support, so nothing's missing.

As for the story I think being a Poe/Lovecraft fan kind of influenced my decision... gotta love horror literature.
  Find

Status
Imprisoned
well shit this just got super interesting! be doing you a portrait tomorrow for sure, loving the fact that its gonna be lovecraft influenced