Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Monster level up patch

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
I've recently converted to asar, for 2 reasons:
1. xkas crashes with no explanation (frequently) on my machine.
2. asar can easily handle PEA with a label. I've never been able to get xkas to do that without some fancy defines.

The formats are almost identical. The only real things I had to figure out were that asar reads the file extension to determine if there should be a header or not (.smc = header; .sfc = no header), and also the MVN/MVP parameters were reversed of what I'm accustomed to.

Once you get past that, asar is quite friendly and I can make a byte-perfect disassembly of vanilla C20000-C26800 (and put it wherever I want, with org)

EDIT: asar is also open-source, so if any changes were really needed, they could be hammered out.

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
byuu Wrote:That people continue to use xkas v06 to this day (and syntax-compatible clones of it like ASAR) is one of my greater sources of shame. It would seem I'm responsible for the ZSNES of assemblers =(

So basically we should use bass? I don't really want to use the zsnes of anything, even a pencil. Did anyone tried cc65, 64tass or WLA DX for 65816 and know their features?

byuu Wrote:Hey maybe we should open up a new forum thread on this topic instead of burying it here. ^^

I think Imzogelmo's expansion thread could be a good place to continue this discussion maybe since both topics are linked. Otherwise I'll make a new thread when generating a v0.1 working ASM bank, which I'll try Saturday.

(05-25-2016, 11:30 PM)Imzogelmo Wrote: *advocating asar*

EDIT: asar is also open-source, so if any changes were really needed, they could be hammered out.

I'm willing to switch to asar. Last time I used it it had assume switched on (or noassume disabled) so I lost a few hours and was traumatized and went back to xkas right after that.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
Don't get me wrong... NOTHING takes the place of a decent text editor and a few good regex substitutions. D

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
...I still use ZSNES.

I think there's something to be said for catering to the userbase. Xkas works, everyone uses it. But I'm open to switching to something better if we need to. I've no clue about the benefits of bass over xkas or the requirements of a large project but I can start looking into it in a week or so when I get back home.

Do we have a complete working disassembly of C2? I remember leet sketcher posting something about assassin's having some wrongly disassembled parts and providing an update but I haven't actually taken the time to look at it. Did someone merge the two so there's a complete version?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-27-2016, 03:11 AM)seibaby Wrote: Xkas works, everyone uses it. But I'm open to switching to something better if we need to.

I agree. Asar / xkas should be a start.

(05-27-2016, 03:11 AM)seibaby Wrote: Do we have a complete working disassembly of C2? I remember leet sketcher posting something about assassin's having some wrongly disassembled parts and providing an update but I haven't actually taken the time to look at it. Did someone merge the two so there's a complete version?

That merging project could be the task of someone. There's a few things to either get rid of or format, the compressed data (should be in a bin file) and everything regarding ending names (pointer tables, data). There might be more but these two come right in mind.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I could have a look when I get home. It'd be nice to have disassemblies in the wiki that anyone can edit and comment. I know there was a discussion about this a while ago, but I don't know what happened after. Did we get permission to host forks of Leno's, Novalia's and assassin's docs?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-28-2016, 09:41 AM)seibaby Wrote: Did we get permission to host forks of Leno's, Novalia's and assassin's docs?

Not to my knowledge. However I wouldn't really see a problem with hosting numerous ASM files of all disassemblies plus bin files of graphics and data in a single "ROM package" with a ROM generator utility. It's different in my opinion of simply adding comments to someone else docs or merging two text files in one and then hosting it without consent. Surely we use their docs as a base, but so is every patch creator and hack creator. There's also magno who already did a C1 & C3 ASM file for his translation, I'm not sure he received an official "ok" from everyone involved in disassembling C3. This is my two cents. We could keep development semi-private (by not sharing the WIP files) and come out with a download link when we have a 1.0 base ROM with the ROM generator.

As for the upper C2 moveable patch or ASM file, the same concept should apply IMO.

I could send a message to Lenophis and see what he say. I was never able to reach Novalia Spirit in two messages in the past. Finally Imzogelmo and assasin visit here.
  Find