Patch: Sliding Dash

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
author: silentenigma
Download

There was a bit of a delay for me posting this since I wanted to throw a site together to host it.

This hack fixes the bug revealed by Master ZED's FF3dash B & C patches, where your character appears to be standing still when dashing either down or right at full speed. It also makes walking animations look a bit more natural in general, which will be most noticeable with slow-moving NPCs.

Basically, walking animations are a 4-part cycle dependent on the position value of the character. It works out well when the position value is decreasing (moving left or up) but lags when the position value is increasing (moving right or down). Plus, when moving at maximum speed (sprint shoes + dash), two sprites in the animation cycle are skipped. So when moving up/left, the "standing still" sprite is skipped, but when moving down/right, the "stepping" sprites are skipped since the animation algorithm lags by one sprite iteration.

FFAnthology tried a quick fix that ended up often sticking your character in an action pose after dashing. This patch fixes the root of the problem and ensures that the character stops cleanly.

I used 21 bytes underneath the subroutine added by FF3dash B & C. I believe that space is still unused by other hacks, but let me know if I am mistaken.

Cheers!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (12-24-2017)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Nice job! I will move this in the IPS sub-forum.

Could we host the patch here? We had patches lost in the past because of down personal sites or temp mediafire links.

Also, I'll add your personal site to the external links page since you plan on doing more than one patch.
  Find

Status
Enlight
Thanks a lot! You're definitely welcome to host it here - Theoretically my web host could decide any time that my "hacking-related" site violates their terms... not to mention it was a real pain tracking down Novalia Spirit's work a couple weeks ago XD

Thanks for linking me as well.

Status
Enlight
This patch has been updated with an optimization to use 3 fewer bytes of free space, a small expiation for the 33 additional bytes being eaten up by my update to the "Stuck-in-a-Pose fix".
As such, the old version (1.0) now conflicts with Stuck-in-a-Pose version 2.2+.

The updated version (1.1) can be found here:
http://silentenigma.neocities.org/ff6/Sl...h_v1.1.zip
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (07-17-2019)