Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: Wilder Randomness

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
Only to notify that i updated the Wilder Randomness patch.

For an unknown reason, the old version has a bug where the overworld map isn't displayed when the party is riding a vehicle, like chocobo, airship, etc.

Because of this elusive bug, i abandoned the old approach and used a new one for this patch. The patch unifies the main random number generators in one single random number generator.

In the default game, each random number generator sequentially reads from a table of fixed values based on its specific counter/index in the table. The counter value is added of the value of one in every call to get the next available number in the table.

In the patch, the unified new random number generator randomly choses one of four counters/index in the table of fixed values. Then, it increments the selected index by one and returns the value in the table position. It is a relatively simple algorithm but it breaks the sequentiality of numbers obtained because you have four indexes instead of one to get a number from the table. It is also more compatible with the game design, it doesn't mess around with the save file checksum and probably it is more balanced than the old version.
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • Dev J (09-18-2017), Gi Nattak (09-17-2017), SSJ Rick (09-20-2017)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi, just wondered if you have or could make an anti-patch for the previous version. I applied this new one to my heavily patched rom and it immediately blacked everything out & wiped out all my saves (oddly enough.) Evidently it's not compatible with the previous version of Wilder Randomness. Since my rom has been so meticulously edited, it'd be great to remove the previous version of the patch & THEN try applying this new version. If you don't wanna make an anti-patch, no problem, I'll start fresh. This is a great patch that's now part of my indispensable group of them.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-18-2017, 05:45 PM)Dev J Wrote: If you don't wanna make an anti-patch, no problem, I'll start fresh.

You can make yourself an anti-patch by applying the old patch to a vanilla ROM and then create a patch with the vanilla ROM being the modified ROM and the modified ROM being the vanilla ROM. This is how everyone create an anti-patch.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
It worked. I removed V.1.1 with my own anti-patch & then applied 3.1. It seems to work, even though my Rom has dozens & dozens of patches already in it, including the massive Relocalization patch, along with literally 2 years of extreme USME editing. If Wilder Randomness can go on top of ALL that and still work fine, that's amazing. (The funny thing about this particular patch is that you can't really tell if it's working at all, lol. But if the game is working fine then I assume it's randomizing it's butt off in the background.)) Thanks all. Quick question for GINattuck, if he sees this: any way to edit your "Mog Never Fails" patch so that a dance move fails every once in a blue moon?

Edit: one more Q: in the same way that in USME you can save all your edited battle scripts to a file and then easily install it to a fresh rom, is it possible to save all monster stats (such as HP, weaknesses, rages, drops etc) to a single file? What about spells?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-18-2017, 11:36 PM)Dev J Wrote: in the same way that in USME you can save all your edited battle scripts to a file and then easily install it to a fresh rom, is it possible to save all monster stats (such as HP, weaknesses, rages, drops etc) to a single file? What about spells?

I don't think you can do this. While you can export the stats in a readable text file, I don't think you can import them. One way to do it is use the wiki ROM map, then select the good data block in a hex editor, copy it and paste it (paste-write and not paste-insert) in your new ROM opened in the same hex editor. It can easily be done with HxD.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I just realized that the version being hosted on the wiki, the last version HatZen officially uploaded, is version 4.2, while there was actually a 4.3 and 4.4 version - there was a bug in 4.2 where the chocobo-riding Mode 7 would randomly have a flickering/flashing of the screen. HatZen sent me a v4.4 (and apparently a 4.3) that fixed the issue, but it seems it never made it here or to the wiki... so I'll attach it here (asm file). I forget what 4.4 did over 4.3, but it was some other bug. Anyways 4.4 is the latest version that fixes all issues. Victory

Attached Files
.zip  wilder_randomness_44.zip (999 bytes, 10 downloads)

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • C-Dude (07-08-2022), Lightning (07-08-2022)