Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(04-13-2016, 10:51 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Q1: If you'd have to do something different in your hack, what would it be?

Q2: When will you consider your mod finished?

Q3: Would you consider an easy-type version of your mod something worth doing, or better, implementing levels of difficulty in the same ROM (different copies of item data, monster stats, exp curve, etc...)?

1) I would probably have an all original cast of characters, meaning no Cloud, Tifa, Eiko, etc. But at the same time, the story of the mod is greatly wrapped around the events of FFIV so I'm not sure what I would do to replace FuSoYa and Golbez, for instance. Sometimes I've wished I went all original, but then at the same time I realize it would have to have been drastically different, so I don't regret it.

2) I will definitely consider it finished at version 2.0, when as much of the stuff left on the to do list ever gets done, which would usher in that version. But there are no plans to get going on that either, after this next release. Hopefully someday I can pick it back up, though I'd definitely need more dialog bytes, and some assembly skills lol. To do what I'd what I'd like anyway. check here for those that haven't seen the list: http://rotds.webs.com/apps/forums/topics...ture-stuff

3) I would love to have a difficulty setting like that one awesome Japanese ROM FF6-G I think, when starting up a new game. But, since I can not do such a thing myself, I would and have considered doing it the easier way of making a patch. It would of course require some amount of time and thought to do it right, outside of just changing monster stats and levels. At one point I was going to consider starting on it but that never happened, and now I have no urge to do it at all and am happy with the balance for the most part. Maybe JCE3000GT can make an easy type of it sometime lol.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-13-2016, 11:13 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Hopefully someday I can pick it back up, though I'd definitely need more dialog bytes.

You can do ASM change to point dialogue toward a third bank, but then need to use Atlas which can reorganize pointers when you add dialogues. Pandora's Box is structured like that I think, infinite dialogue space. I can do the ASM changes, but not code a new dialogue editor.

(04-13-2016, 11:13 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: I would love to have a difficulty setting like that one awesome Japanese ROM FF6-G I think, when starting up a new game.

I've tinkered about the idea of releasing a difficulty setting patch. It's not really hard to do, the only thing is you need to manually edit the difficulties that are not editable in the default one (the one in usME). What can be done is coding a command line that save the default data, then you edit with usME, the you run the utility to move all data and put back the default one in place. The utility could also transfer back the "hard" settings into the default spots to edit with usME. Still a lot of shuffling but more manageable than editing manually every other difficulties.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
More questions!

1) I had downloaded the OST for quite sometime, listening to it wherever I can. Was the new cool music one of the reasons to not have battle music in dungeons and such?

2) Speaking of music, pretty much every original FFVI song has been replaced with another. Out of these "replacements", which one do you think fits the map the best? My vote is the new Phantom Train music. You'd think it'd be hard to top the original, but Dance of the Zombies does it.

3) Why FuSoYa? That was the SNES spelling. But Curaga and Arise exist instead of Cure 2 and Life 2, which suggest you were going for the updated names, so why is it not spelled as Fusoya?

4) Can you tell us a bit the process behind creating the new original characters? Serin, Avalon, Ronan, Otis etc. Did the sprite came first and later would the process of giving them a personality, or vice versa? I'd love to know!

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Hey, i didn't knew they were invented from scratch!

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Charmed
Gi mentions sometimes about one day having a "full cast of original characters" which leads me to believe some of them are and others are not [Cloud, Tifa etc.]

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Cloud, Tifa, Fusoya, Golbez, Eiko, Aerith (NPC); That makes a lot to change. I don't know if others except mog were created from scratch, some surely are.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(05-28-2016, 03:04 PM)Kugawattan Wrote: More questions!

1) I had downloaded the OST for quite sometime, listening to it wherever I can. Was the new cool music one of the reasons to not have battle music in dungeons and such?

2) Speaking of music, pretty much every original FFVI song has been replaced with another. Out of these "replacements", which one do you think fits the map the best? My vote is the new Phantom Train music. You'd think it'd be hard to top the original, but Dance of the Zombies does it.

3) Why FuSoYa? That was the SNES spelling. But Curaga and Arise exist instead of Cure 2 and Life 2, which suggest you were going for the updated names, so why is it not spelled as Fusoya?

4) Can you tell us a bit the process behind creating the new original characters? Serin, Avalon, Ronan, Otis etc. Did the sprite came first and later would the process of giving them a personality, or vice versa? I'd love to know!

Thanks for the questions!

1) That was definitely part of it, but if all the original songs were still in I'd still probably opt to not have battle music for dungeons. Mainly because I think the battle theme gets burned out after hearing it over and over, and this is true with all RPGs imo. I went with the idea for battle theme only for overworld battles, just so it is less used and the songs do not get interrupted every 5-10 seconds in dungeons. I'd like to think it makes battles less tedious subconsciously just because the repetition of the music is not happening over and over. Madsiur's random battle theme patch would fix my feelings about this a lot, though.

2) Wow I'm glad to hear this! I think Dance of the Zombies is fitting as well, it even has the percussion sounding like a moving train. For how short it loops it doesn't become annoying either, and I've listened to it for an ungodly amount of time when doing all the event stuff for Arc there, and etc. Jackimus was planning on doing Castlevania's Dance of Pales to replace it, upon my request:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8ALhXLrPg

But I was going to keep Dance of the Zombies in for Cyan's dream event train, or visa-versa. BUT, I'm not sure, I like both... choosing songs is tough as shit sometimes. But hearing your feedback leads me to want to keep it in there, and Pales could go to Cyan's Dream Train instead. I'd like that.

3) I have no real answer for this, I've never thought about it that way to keep it uniform. FuSoYa looks cooler and seems like the Lunarian way to spell it, but besides that there is no reason.

4) For the most part the sprites definitely came first. Many were from my first hack Last Hope, which evolved into RotDS, but they were just ones that I took from the database oh so long ago that were available and went with it. Poco Loco colored them all in so the palettes would work, and then we went about changing the personality (some more than others as we know). Poco helped a lot with Avalon, suggesting many dialog changes to make him less Cyan. Arc was pretty much my brainchild, when I set off to rebuild him from Gau. I thought Orphanage right away, and his backstory and personality came with that somehow. Poco helped me a lot with the characters/dialog, to make them feel less like their old counterparts. Reaper was pretty much all Poco, I told him about an idea to make the ghost a more special guest character, a Grim Reaper, and he was on board enough to make the Reaper sprite, and went on to write most of the dialog you see during the train event for him, thus fleshing out his personality. He even planned out a couple events for him that I wrote, like the scene when he first appears right before the train. For Otis, he was an actual Dragoon sprite originally, then he got his legit pirate sprite, but for him I already had his dialog written up before that to be a pirate. I like pirates, and pirate talk. Poco wanted him to be less stereotypical but I wasn't having none of that lol.

So to sum this up, some sprites were created first and then the work on changing their character, again some more than others, and with a few it was the other way around. Lots of assistance from Poco Loco writing out dialog for Reaper and Avalon, and helping with others as well. He's better at making the characters seem less like their original and if it was his hack to edit the hell out of I'm sure they'd be less like their originals even more lol.

Status
Charmed
1) I totally see your point. However, I seem to have a shield that prevents me to get bored with battle themes lol

2) So I assume your answer for "most fitting new track" is Dance of the Zombies as well? xD

3) Players do have the option to rename FuSoYa to Fusoya though, so I guess it's not a big deal, but yeah, felt like pointing it out. I don't personally find FuSoYa cooler, it's also a blunder to spell, but I see your points.

4) Interesting story! It's nice to see such collaborative effort and how well it turned out xD I'm really enjoying The Reaper and of course Otis and Pepe.

Status
Nattak\'d
2) Oops I forgot to list my choice. Hmm, most fitting replacement... that'd take me most of the day to figure out, but looking here at the OST to refresh my memory for now I'll say Maridia - Super Metroid, to replace the spooky Another World of Beasts.
Maridia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIIfXWvus8
Another World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PY1b8_iIPc

Dance of the Zombies, though, is definitely one of the top good replacements I'd say, yes.

The Xenosaga Gaur Plains one Jackimus did for the Veldt is a great replacement as well, though it's drastically different in a more epic kind of way.

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
I must say that even if i don't like Otis really much, i still love the way he talks.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find