Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nifty, obscure computer parts

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I'm trying to find some stuff to fill empty plugs, ports, bays, and holes in my computer and I'm coming up empty. Looking for ideas, cause Google just keeps trying to give me lessons on HOW it works, not what it works. Don't even have to be something useful, just usable.

Need something using an "IDE" port. Already have 2Tb of hard drive and 2cd players, so need something to plug in here other than that. Best I've got at the moment is a ZIP drive. As long as IDE cables were used they had to come up with something cool that used an IDE port.

I also have four extra 5.25" bay slots that need filling. My last rig had 3 dvd players and at most I used two so don't need more of those. So far I've seen some LED fan/temp displays, but I have no desire to slow fans down so other than being pretty, eh.

Saw some storage drawers that fit in 5.25" bay (yeah that's what I need, another place to stash stuff IN my computer.) Guess it would be good for usb drives and such but would rather have something more obscene, like a 5 1/4 floppy drive (hey it would match up with the 3.5 floppy drive/card reader I already have at least.)

Need some ideas, I'm sure somebody has seen some kinda odd old computer part out there. I'm running out of ways to look. Seems everybody now days just want the basic stuff, for get about class or crazy.

On another note: NES PC
This I can dig, he should have put NES controller to USB adapters in for the old controller ports just for fun but I still say slick.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I've been pretty quiet lately, overly busy with way to many things on the to-do list, but I finally finished (mostly...) my computer. It could be considered bragging, if it were actually faster than it is, but I'm happy with it even though it's old. Not to mention the list of crap piled into one case is almost note worthy, as well as the fact it is the first case I've ever built. Heavy modifications, yes, build from the ground up, 1st time (it is about the size of a server, heavy, and built from... you really don't want to know what it's built from, really.

So yeah I'm happy with it. Still have to finish building the front panel though. Anyway, here's what it is.

CPU: AMD 64bit Dual-Core 3.0Ghz
RAM: 8Gb (4x2Gb Sticks - DDR2)
Video: 2x MSI Geforce 970 - 4Gb RAM - SLI
Primary Power Supply: 1500watt ATX (For MB/Components)
Secondary Power Supply: 300watt AT (For Fans/Cooling)
CD Drives: 1x Blu-Ray Player & 2x DVD Writer
Hard Drives: 6x (Primary- 2x 1Tb Raid 0 for OS, 250Gb Backup, 750GB for Storage, 2x 70Gb Raid 0 for games)
Cooling: Not going to attempt a detailed list - liquid cooled (3x radiators covered by 4x 120mm fans - 2x water pumps - and a pile of other fans)

Processor as factory settings runs 1 degree higher than case temp, case temp runs at room temp. Overclocked to 3.3Ghz (as far as I've tried yet) it runs 10 degrees over Case temp.

Misc stuff: 2x SNES controller ports, 1x NES controller port, 7-1 reader (floppy drive, SD card, and 5 other types of cards that I'm not sure what are).

And yes, a completely custom case because they just don't make cases that would hold all this crap in one place. At least not in the way I wanted it. I'd post a picture but I think I've taken up enough space today already. Either way, I'm defiantly happy with it so far.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find