Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Battles in mode 7 with vehicles?

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
There's a list of questions i'd like to know some info, if not the answer to them:

1) Some time ago i was reading mode 7 related disassembly, then i saw the part in which was handled riding airship and fighting Doom Gaze, i can't remember precisely what i saw but i think the script mentioned something about mode 7 airship events, battles(in general?) or something like that.
Now i'd like to know if someone examinated better that part and actually knows some more detailed info about that...

2) I'm interested in making possible to trigger some battle in the sky, without removing Doom Gaze battle in exchange... say 1 battle on Falcon and 1 battle on Blackjack... any clue about that?

3) I wonder if it's possible to make one Doom Gaze-like event, while riding chocobo, since it's mode 7 in world map too... said that i've never seen anywhere how/where is handled the code which randomly places him in the map and in what consists that invisible square/circle of space in the map, that starts Doom Gaze battle if you hit it with the airship, i guess some rom/ram adress/code would be welcomed here... Tongue

4) I really want to avoid to make chasing battles through the world(the monster escapes, so he keeps his HP on 2 battle vars) actually i also want to remove all that shit related to Doom Gaze's HP and so free 2 battle vars, which would have a much more better use in my hands Wink
That would also mean cancel the related code that handles his HP before and after the battle... then copying his code for create extra mode 7 world battles would be easier, i think.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I seemed to remember researching something along these lines once, it took me an hour to figure out why I might know it though. One of the things I attempted to make the chocobo from airship work was World Map Events. Basically an entry event for the world map, check bit, do something.

The reason I mention that is, I don't think Mode7 has anything to do with it. It's just an event. On the world map. Wrote in ASM. That might be pointing to event code.

If I'm half correct, you should be able to take your blue chocobo and go fight Doom Gaze. By correct I mean, if its just an event tile set on the world map that does a few checks, that looks special because normally you could only hit it while in the airship. I also think there is a check for "is WoR", and "is DoomGaze alive".
Even if DoomGaze is special, Mode7 only, check out:

Bank EE/B269 (Event Pointers)

Searching for any of those events, or just DoomGaze in Bank EE will give you plenty to look at. Pretty easy to navigate in this instance.
Don't see why any of those would be specific to Mode7 (especially "tent") or why they couldn't just point to any event, from any mode. The Mode check would be done just like any other bit check. Just in ASM.

Sorry I can't offer more, bad memory and the fact I never made any headway (course I was only trying to ride a bird, not start a battle so, maybe I did get it to work and the bird was the only issue.)
As far as battle in the sky, should just be one of those World Map Events, followed by the proper bit checks to make sure the battle is setup to happen. "SHOULD" being the key word here.

I'm still pretty sure there is no special case for Mode7 events vs any world map event, but Bank EE is the place to look.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Atma
Map event tiles, you say... huh? interesting... i admit i never seen what they do those events, sooner or later i'll see them on my own, yet a brief description of what they do would be useful Tongue
What's the point in having WoR check, if they are 2 different maps, with different events, anyway?

About tent, i read in the past that sleeping with tent was in bank EE, and i must say i wanna try to see if i can make some random event when you sleep with tent Objection!

Returning to world maps... why they don't allow NPCs in their maps? is there some byte which blocks that option? in that case i'd love to know how to remove that restriction...

What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
The checks for WoB or WoR, I'd guess would be so the same block of code could be ran every time for switching modes on whatever is loaded as the current world map, and yet only activate at the proper time.

Maybe calling them "World Map Events" may not be the proper termanology, or a simplistic label. That is exactly how I see them working though. That leaves the question then, why do it that way instead of just doing an event in the map editor. With that thought, "Mode7 Event" may be a better term, but I don't see why it would require Mode7 to activate, the event for removing the floating island is checked anytime the map is opened.

So that would imply, the reason for being in bank EE is for activation reasons.

Of course, most of the ones I remember looking at pointed to a standard event in CA/ after doing their checks (Kefka Tower, Pheonix Cave). DoomGaze, runs more (including setting his tiles and RNG functions, maybe just creating event tiles on the fly as well?), but still jumps to CA after setting up.

Tripping one like Doomgaze should be easy, but getting it to actually read the event code after that I never pulled off even though it looked pretty straight forward. (Again, this may have simply been because of WHAT event I was trying to run).

Not even sure how to test it to be honest. Personally, I'm in the position of having enough time to want to do something, but not enough time to commit to anything... sucks it does. But working this out should open a whole bunch of fun stuff.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Atma
I believe the reason why it's a mode 7 event is because Doom Gaze battle is triggered only if you press the button which makes you go forward with airship: if you move with the other button, the one that makes you move in all directions, then you'll never fight Doom Gaze...
On a side note i'd be quite interested in finding a way to deny this cheap dodging trick...

Find