Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Continously playing music in a dungeon?

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Hello!
So I've used the Battle on the Big Bridge patch that replaced the Returner's music. Of course, this means BotBB plays on their hideout.
So I went to FF6LE+, searched the Returner map and switched its music with the Mines of Narshe music. However, the music doesn't play continuously as you go from room to room. I mean that any time you go though a door to another room/map, the music stops for a second, and restarts shortly after.
I don't consider this a priority issue, but it'd love to know what am I supposed to do to keep the music playing throughout the dungeon.
Thanks in advance.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Did you notice how the selected song choice for the Returner's Hideout map(s) was set to (current song) in FF6LE, and might have wondered how it is playing the Returner's Hideout song at all then?

In many cases, a lot of the time throughout the game the songs that get played are handled by an entrance event code, this way you can have it play different songs at different times by using an event bit check. For instance during the Returner's Hideout, it has the song Awakening play instead for a while... When it is set to (current song) in LE, that's what's going on.

With most of the actual dungeons, the song is set to play on the map in the LE because there is no need to continuously play any other song.

But when a song is being set to play via the entrance event & bit, and the map is set to play a different song instead of the current one, it will be interrupted at first for a split second by the entrance event song which is loaded right before the map, which causes the map set song to be interrupted and start over.

You can see in FF6LE the entrance event for the Returner's Hideout maps (3 in total) and they are the same, set to F94E (CA/F94E)
So looking in the event dump:

CA/F94E: C0 If ($1E80($1B6) [$1EB6, bit 6] is set), branch to $CA5EB3 (simply returns)
CA/F954: C1 If ($1E80($012) [$1E82, bit 2] is clear) or ($1E80($25E) [$1ECB, bit 6] is set), branch to $CAF95F
CA/F95C: F0 Play song 5 (Awakening), (high bit clear), full volume
CA/F95E: FE Return

CA/F95F: F0 Play song 46 (Returners), (high bit clear), full volume
CA/F961: FE Return

So anyways, you would want to change that F0 46 to F0 17 for it to play Mines of Narshe. And be sure and put the song back to current in the LE, if you intend to keep it like it was in the original with the song changes.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Kugawattan (07-08-2015)

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Well, I can't bring proof, but it worked just nicely. I cannot say thank you enough, man.

Wouldn't have thought you'd had to look there in the Event Dump, but it seems to be the solution for almost everything ^^

Next time I'll be sure to check it out before asking something! Thanks again.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!