Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How to... Control -> GP Rain?

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
I want to have a relic that turns Control (which now is the character's default ability) into GP Rain. I'm not sure how to make this work, though. Can anyone help?

And while I'm on the subject, is it possible to make 'GP Rain' be the same as casting 'Launcher'? You know, that attack that throws rockets that hit eight times to randomly selected enemies? I know that 'Shock' is casting 'Megahit', so I assume something similar to this can be made?

And to top it all off, is it possible to have 'Control' ALWAYS control the enemies that don't have the 'Can't Control' flag checked?

P.S. It seems I'm on the verge of spamming threads for rather small questions, so I'm going to ask as many as I can think of now. If there's something else I could do about this, I'm all ears.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
1. Control -> GP Rain

Code:
(Data - commands that can be replaced with other commands thanks to Relics)
C2/5452: 05   (Steal)
C2/5453: 0F   (Slot)
C2/5454: 0D   (Sketch)
C2/5455: 02   (Magic)
C2/5456: 00   (Fight)

(Data - commands that can replace above commands due to Relics)
C2/5457: 06   (Capture)
C2/5458: 18   (GP Rain)
C2/5459: 0E   (Control)
C2/545A: 17   (X-Magic)
C2/545B: 16   (Jump)

Change the following line:
Code:
C2/5453: 0E   (Control)

Note that if the character needs a relic for sketch -> control you might need to swap the list so it first applies control before trying to apply GP Rain

2. GP Rain changed to Shock

Code for shock is simple:
Code:
Shock

C2/171A: A9 82        LDA #$82
C2/171C: 80 02        BRA $1720

And we can overwrite the GP Rain routine and place this code instead:
Code:
GP Rain

C2/1907: A9 82        LDA #$82
C2/1909: 4C 20 17     JMP $1720

Doing so should result in GP Rain casting Shock.

3. Control always hit's

At C2/3792 there is a routine for sketch and control probabilities. If you always want to hit you can skip this routine or have it return hits constantly.

To skip the routines for control commands we find the following line:
Code:
C2/3AE8: 20 92 37     JSR $3792   (Sketch/Control Chance - pass bit 3 of $3C45 as carry)

And change it to:
Code:
C2/3AE8: C2 01      REP #$01 (reset carry)
C2/3AEA: EA         NOP

This should bypass the probabilities and constantly hit.

What I wrote is untested so let us know how it goes.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to m06 for this post:
  • Kugawattan (05-18-2017), Robo Jesus (01-01-2018)

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
'kay, so. Good news and bad news. Good news is that it works flawlessly in a clean ROM. Bad news is that it doesn't want to work on the ROM where I've been hacking so far. Whis is what WinHex looks like on a clean room before you switch Slots to Control:
[Image: good_mood_by_kugawattan-d8yfynd.png]

And this is my ROM after I switch Slots with Control (I can't remember which bits were there originally, sorry for being a dope ><):[Image: bad_mood_by_kugawattan-d8yfyx7.png]

As you can see, differences stop at the third pair of digits starting from the left at the next row of the selected. Why is it so different? Because I changed the attributes of several of the relics I'm assuming? Both the item I used in the blank to text (FakeMustache) and the one I used in the hacked ROM have the same ID, if that means something.

And uh, I did not want to change it to 'Shock', but to the enemy spell 'Launcher', spell id 205. ^^'
And lastly, I could edit Control's properties fine, though. My Hacked ROM answered accordingly.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Ok, so it looks like some editor may have moved this "command swapping" table. Try searching your ROM for: 05 0F 0D 02 00 and 06 18 0E 17 16 if you find them and only one hit, it should be the above tables in question. If you don't find the tables, posting a list of the editors you've used might help us to realise how these tables have been moved or changed.

Launcher is 205 (0xCD) then we change the spell value 0x82 to 0xCD:
Code:
GP Rain

C2/1907: A9 CD        LDA #$CD
C2/1909: 4C 20 17     JMP $1720

Hope this helps, and dope ftw.

EDIT: I did a quick search for the swapping tables, there should be two instances I guess. One in bank C3 for the out-of-battle status menus and the other more important in bank C2 for battles. Both tables should be changed to be the same.
  Find