I've got a horrible confession...

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
I enjoyed Mystic Quest.

THERE, I SAID IT, ALRIGHT?

I played it first when I was around 8, and couldn't make it past the stupid ice pyramid with the stupid invisible monsters.

I replayed it again last month, and actually enjoyed it. It's nowhere near as good as any of the numbered FF games, but it's a fun one to blow through with little thought.

Please don't hate me.
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
What's the problem with that game? i mean... i never saw it, does it have a bad reputation?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
(03-15-2015, 11:12 AM)Tenkarider Wrote: What's the problem with that game? i mean... i never saw it, does it have a bad reputation?

It's generally hailed as the worst Final Fantasy game, simply because you could play it while reading a book, or writing an essay. It's very very linear, and the story is simple. It's a great intro to the series, and helps younger players get the mechanics down before playing a better game.
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Understood... in any case i don't need of a new game to play Tongue

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Actually Mystic Quest wasn't a Final Fantasy per say. It was one of those localization name changes they were so fond of in that era. Don't remember what it was actually before the name change in US.

That being said, it wasn't a horrible game really. Alot of people hated it on the fact they attempted to pass it off as Final Fantasy. So yeah, by any other name it might have held up better to people's opinions.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
I don't that is a horrible confession to make at all, I like it too and I am not afraid to admit it, there was still a lot of fun to be had with that game, the music in the game was kick-ass and it just had some charms that many other games did not. I always got the impression that it was never a "Final Fantasy" to begin with. It was a separate game altogether from those games. People make a big deal out of how easy and linear it was, those critics try to put this game up against FFIV or FFVI which were two different entities. I just liked the adventuring part of it, you just go around to look for equipment and items and you don't have to Equip characters and the weapons had use outside of battle. My only wish is that it could have been expanded to have a backstory of the characters and you could switch between them, because I hated having Tristan or Reuben leave or Phoebe or Kaeli, they all could have a role in the ending. But my point is, people have to look at the game with an open mind, it was for kids after all, it was not meant to be serious or strategic as FFVI.
  Find

Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
I thought it was ok. on a related note im currently having a go at a translation of a japanese game filena which is very similar to mystic quest maybe u should give it a go kastguy

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Hrm, done a few seconds of reading, I stand corrected I think, Mystic Quest didn't get a name change when released in English. But I swear I remember reading that it wasn't intentinally created as an FF game until time to name it...

On another note, as far as non-standard FF games go, the black and white (well greenish and yellowish) FF legends games for gameboy were pretty fun. I think I even have an original cart around here somewhere...

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
Hm...I'll might to give the game Filena a shot as well.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
It was always a 'Final Fantasy' title/spin-off, but intended as a 'beginner's game,' for entry-level RPers. It was released as Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest in Japan, and just as Mystic Quest in PAL regions. (And it was released in NA almost a full year before its JP release.)

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find