Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Copying to your ROM a song available on the Forum

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Afterglow
I got it!  Yay!  Thank you so much!  Just hearing the song feels really satisfying.  So apparently the 200 bytes DON'T carry over with pointer values?  I will admit the header is cumbersome to use, though I use it because the software I use asks for it. (I think, it's been a while).  Can you tell me a software where I can freely remove and put back headers?  I think my coding would be a lot easier without all this byte conversion.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-28-2018, 01:15 AM)Mutteo Wrote: So apparently the 200 bytes DON'T carry over with pointer values?

You gotta consider the header for everything when calculating offsets but none of the game code require headered values and the game never has the knowledge you have a header or not. No SNES cart had an header back in the days.

(04-28-2018, 01:15 AM)Mutteo Wrote: Can you tell me a software where I can freely remove and put back headers?  I think my coding would be a lot easier without all this byte conversion.

SNEStuff that is available here. There are others like Tush I think. What I do is just open HxD (hex editor) and delete first $200 bytes and add $200 times 00 when I need a header for FF3SE as an example.

I'm glad you finally had this working :D
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Mutteo (04-28-2018)

Status
Afterglow
(04-28-2018, 01:32 AM)madsiur Wrote: I'm glad you finally had this working Laugh

Thank you very much for your help.  This is actually the first time I did some real Hex editing and I do believe I learned quite a bit today.  Finally all that expanded rom space can be used for something, and it feels pretty good to do it myself.  I hope I can do more of that. Victory
  Find

Threads: 0
Status
None
hi, i've been trying to do this for a while with the FFIV battle theme 2 which uses the patch, but no matter what i do, i always end up with a annoying flatline playing instead of the song, anything I did wrong?

$24 $C8FE43 Battle Theme is where I'm putting the song data of the song.
$C54415 is where I'm copying the inst data over. Am i doing it right?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-18-2018, 02:03 AM)riki2321 Wrote: hi, i've been trying to do this for a while with the FFIV battle theme 2 which uses the patch, but no matter what i do, i always end up with a annoying flatline playing instead of the song, anything I did wrong?

Well the info you are giving seems good so I tried it with what you gave and the import works perfectly. Maybe you applied the patch to a headered ROM but that would make all songs sound glitchy probably. The other thing I could think of is that you are doing "paste insert" instead of "paste write" in HxD. As I said I got it working in under 2min, with the info you gave I can't tell what you are doing wrong but the info you gave is good.
  Find

Threads: 0
Status
None
i removed the header with nsrt, then inserted the patch. is the rom supposed to be 3.401 mb ??

but the rom breaks and plays the annoying flatline on the song when i change the instruments, if i dont it plays fine but instruments wrong

another edit : i got it to work but the original song plays over and i hear weird noise

another edit : i got it to work i had to use a different rom version!
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Hey Madsiur, I have been working on this tutorial for the last 3 hours now and have so far successfully accomplished everything up to Step 7 (the game plays the official music, so I must have done something right). However, step 7 is where I get completely lost. It also seems that Mutteo got stuck on this step as well, but I was unable to really understand what you guys were talking about. The instructions are really specific on how to relocate the song pointers and copy/paste the song data - but then Step 7 only tells you how to replace instruments of a pre-existing song. How does my new song find the new instrument data? Where do I copy/paste it to? Do I need to copy paste some instrument pointers like I did for the song pointers? If so, where are they located and where are they referenced?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was doing really well until I got to the instrument step. Thanks!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
If you add a new song (meaning your new song ID is $56) you need to move the instruments located at $C53F95-$C54A34, add your new instruments (32 bytes) at the end of the data block and change this instructions:

Code:
C5/01E2:    BF953FC5    LDA $C53F95,X
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None

(10-14-2018, 03:24 AM)madsiur Wrote: If you add a new song (meaning your new song ID is $56) you need to move the instruments located at $C53F95-$C54A34, add your new instruments (32 bytes) at the end of the data block and change this instructions:

Code:
C5/01E2:    BF953FC5    LDA $C53F95,X

Ok, so I successfully moved the instrument data to a new location in the expanded rom, and I changed the reference at $C501E2. If I understand correctly, I just paste the instrument data for the new song I want to add at the end of the instrument data block (that has been moved).  If I add more tracks, do I just keep pasting the new instrument data at the end of the block?  If that is the case, then I will make a guess that the songs do not reference the point in which the new instruments are located or anything like that, right?

Edit:  Hmm, I think I got all the steps completed, but for some reason when I enter a grasslands battle (the one I chose to test this on), the overworld music continues playing instead of the battle music I added...  I even tried a few different songs to see if that would make a difference.  I don't know where I went wrong, but I went back and checked everything like 5 times.  Madsiur, can I send you my work via PM so you can glance at it and see if I missed anything?  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to edit the song data manually or something like that, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Edit #2:  Here are some pics of all my work until now:

This is the new location for the song index block of code (location underlined).  I added my new song at the bottom of the list (underlined) which I hope is ID 56. The instructions weren't very clear on what to do here in Step #6 if I'm not replacing a song, so I hope I did this right:
[Image: cLYzkBT.jpg]

This is the 3 locations (the 9 bytes) I had to change in Step #3:
[Image: 0RsXQtN.jpg]

The new song ID limit changed to 56:
[Image: e8v1bLY.jpg]

The song that I'm trying to add (the location is underlined):
[Image: mA3MpXM.jpg]

This is where I relocated the instrument code (location underlined).
[Image: DHpphk5.jpg]

This is the very end of the Instrument code.  The underlined part at the end of the block is the 32 bytes of code for the new song I added.  Is this the right place for it?
[Image: DFUoEAf.jpg]

This is where the new instrument block is located:
[Image: mB5OBaz.jpg]

For good measure, here is the new "backgrounds music hack" where I changed the grasslands track to ID 56 (underlined):

[Image: RvvndbK.jpg]
  Find

Status
Mental-Break
Maybe try not moving the song pointers? If you are moving instrument data then there is no need to move song pointers, as they can just expand into the space that instrument data was previously using. I had a lot of trouble with getting relocated song pointers to work, and eventually realized that it was a totally unnecessary step and stopped trying and all my problems went away. I don't actually remember *what* the problems I was having were, though ...

Also, make sure it works without the new background music asm hack first before testing with it. Change $C2BF3B from 24 to 56 and get into a battle, for example.

And make sure the battle you're using for testing actually has music normally!
  Find