Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Costume Room (Idea)

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
So I recently had an idea for an extra room in the Falcon- a dressing room. In this room would be alternate costumes for each of the characters, like Edgar would have Gerad's outfit to change into, Celes with her opera dress, etc. If this room was able to be made could characters effectively switch their costumes, and have them remain that way in battles/events?

Thanks in advance!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
Short answer: yes, given the limitations of the ROM and the original code.

Long answer: probably, but (given my admittedly limited understanding of the graphical system in the ROM) it'll involve a significant amount of ASM hacking, and you run into issues of available space for spritesheets, and the availability of the spritesheets themselves. (Celes' opera outfit, for example, has a fairly limited number of sprites available; only the fourteen playable characters have full spritesheets, as the guest characters like Leo and Banon don't have riding sprites available, although intrepid hackers/spriters have drawn up complete spritesheets for many of these characters.)

Changing the character's overworld palette -- that's what's done for Gerad, for example -- is a simpler endeavour; overworld palettes are set via event. Battle palettes are more complicated; you'll notice that in vanilla, Edgar's battle sprite has his normal palette rather than the modified Gerad colours. There is a hack available for conditional battle sprites that sets Edgar's battle palette to Gerad's during those events, so you have something to work from, at least. (Or whoever you decide to rope in for the ASM work. I maaaaaay take a look at that myself, actually, although I make no promises. Wink ) It may even work as-is; it's been a while since I've looked at that particular code.

TL;DR: changing palettes (Edgar->Gerad) is a much simpler endeavour; full-blown costume changes involves a significant amount more work, and I don't know if anyone's expanded and/or relocated the sprite data to allow for full sheets for more sprites.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
It sounds to me that this idea could work quite nicely if we incorporate the expanded NPC spritesheets into this, while I didn't expand any NPC spritesheets personally, it shouldn't be too difficult to add in one or two for things like Opera Celes, Gerald, Caped Cyan, etc.

And since there's already spritesheets for the soldier and merchant, those could be for Locke since he changes into those naturally ingame.

Here's a link to it - http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2329

So it doesn't sound unfeasible, though it will require work on your end to get it to work.

Edit - I forgot to mention hat some outfits and NPCs have colours we can't normally use, so you may have to allow all the colours, which is explained here.

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Status
None
I was definitely thinking of those two for Locke, but from the sounds of it this is a moderate project, so I'll be holding off until I get more experience.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Yeah! And we could give Shadow a Clyde outfit too!

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find

Status
None
I've been thinking a lot more about this, here are some ideas:
Locke: Merchant, Soldier, Captain
Gau: Kappa - this could go for Mog also
Shadow: Clyde
Celes: Opera dress
Edgar: Gerad
Setzer: Honestly I think he'd look good with a Top Hat
Sabin: Shirtless?
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(02-02-2014, 10:33 AM)kastguyfilms Wrote: Setzer: Honestly I think he'd look good with a Top Hat

Laugh That was so out of the blue, but hilarious after all the ideas that stem from costumes that appeared in game.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Who is this "Captain"?

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 13
Status
X-Zone
I think by Captain, he could mean the Black suited Soldier.

Shine 
  Find

Status
None
Captain/Green suited soldier, my bad.
  Find