Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How would I get started?

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
This game has always been my favorite, I have around 40 playthroughs done, but I have no clue how to ROM hack. Could someone point me in the right direction?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I would start with going to the Tools section here and getting used to using some of the tools like FF6usME (multi-editor), the Level Editor, Sprite Editor etc. Also reading past posts and using the search feature to find out information on what you are interested in learning is a good way to get a feel for what is what. Eventually, depending on what you want to do, you'll have to get friendly with the hex editor, which will allow you to make changes that the other editors cannot do. Thankfully there's tons of documentation on FFVI, and learning to hex edit while intimidating at first isn't really all that hard to pick up and get the hang of, unless your name is Justin lol. (insider)

It's all about what you want to do though really. You could make a thread for any questions you may have, or a project you have in mind (in the personal projects section) and nice people like me will be happy to help. When I first started messing around with hacking FFVI (with no previous romhacking experience either) I started with simple sprite swaps, then I realized that I needed to change their palettes in the 'events' via hex also, so I asked around and read up and learned how to go about that. Then, once I got familiar with that I was interested in more advanced event editing, so I asked my friend Angelo if he would like to make some nice events for me! LOL, (half kidding) but you get the idea - little by little and getting your hands dirty so to speak. =)

A lot of new romhackers come in thinking what they want to do will be easy, and is actually really difficult and will get scared away and/or lose interest when they find out how it isn't at all as easy as they'd like and thought, so I'd advocate starting with 'simple stuff' and learning what the limitations are on what can be realistically achieved - and if you still wan't to go through the arduous process of learning and applying that knowledge, making mistakes and learning from them, then you'll get there and have fun doing it. Wink

There's some nice tutorials floating around here from basic stuff to advanced stuff, so be sure and check out the resources.

Welcome to the site!

I should also say that the more advanced romhacking is called 'assembly', or 'ASM' hacking, and is nothing short of programming. This skill is required for doing the complex game mechanic changes, and writing new code for all kinds of cool stuff. I have not learned assembly yet so I'll leave it at that, but there are some on this site who excel in that area, should you get to that. ^_^

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Jeff (02-01-2014), SSJ Rick (01-26-2014)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Gi Nattak pretty much nailed it all, but modern FF3us hack must have something that makes them stick out the the batch.

Yo can make a "hack" or mod only with the editors available, but it won't give you mod a unique feel.

I suggest after getting familar with the editors that you learn Hex. Then you could learn how to modify events or even create your own. New music and sprite work can also help having an original hack. You can finally open a world of possibilities by learning the 65816 assembly language. Various tutorials for this are available on the internet.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks to both of you! I suppose I'd like to start out with a palette swap, sans the hex part yet. Is there any special thing I need to run the programs or just the program itself? I'm not to great with software work, so just getting the applications is difficult -.-. Thanks again for the warm welcome!
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
assigning palettes via editors is incomplete (usme), it'll only allow you to assign one palette (battle I think), the other palettes must be assigned via hex (town and shop menu), you can be half way done though but its best you do it all by hex so you can make it a much more valuable learning experience

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Hm, that might be more of a challenge than I thought. Another quick question: are these ROMs versions of the SNES game? I'd much rather play that than Advance.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Well there's the SNES ROM, and also the GBA ROM. This site is predominantly dedicated to hacking the SNES ROM, but FFVI Advance is welcome too. A 'ROM' is a computer file that contains a copy of the data from a game.

There's a couple different FF6 roms, you got U.S. 1.0, U.S. 1.1, and the Japanese version. 1.0 is the ROM to hack with as a lot of patches are made for it and editors assume you are using it and documentation as well.

Status
None
Great, I have no interest in playing Advance. I'll look into more about downloading them later.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
another tip would be to use a 1.0 rom because most patches work with that version more then 1.1

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Nattak\'d
I did mention that in my post Wink