Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Gau: Automatic Rage Learning

Status
None
So, I don't know much about battle events, and this request might be a bit of a doozy, but here goes.

Thus far with Gau, I've changed his commands to Fight, Rage, Magic, Item (thus I also had to neuter his ridiculous offensive stats & allow him to equip weapons). I've eliminated the need for him to Leap at all, and started him with his full rage list. (I've never had a problem with the idea of fighting a million battles to level up, but a million more for his rage list... ugh!)

The main issue I have with this is that it gives him access to some pretty potent stuff pretty early. What I'd like to do is change things such that whenever the party first encounters a monster that could appear on his rage list, Gau learns the rage immediately instead of just the monster being placed on the Veldt list. Of course, I still want the monsters to appear on the Veldt as normal, but I'd like to skip the middle man Smile.

I'm betting this would take a lot of work, and I'm fine with this, but I'm not sure where to begin!

EDIT: P.S. That means Guards and Lobos and Pterodons (etc.) pop onto his Rage list at the very beginning before Gau is even defined, all the way to the end.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Something like this?:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1371/

And USME has the Rage start-up checklist in the Actors Editor to add which ones to start with.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Edit: I think Gi Nattak found the patch that does exactly what I've explained...

The rage learning routine is at C2/4A07. I think if you call it at the end of the battle, you would automatically learn rages from the beginning of the game and on every battle. You can make the call at C2/5FC5 which is the end of the winning battle routine:

Code:
C2/5FC5: 20 07 4A     JSR $4A07

That been said, I never tested it and you'll have to move a few bytes in C2 where there is space to fit your extra 3 bytes. You can use the JSR instruction to jump to another address and the RTS instruction (60) to go back to where you were previously.
  Find

Status
None
In reality, the "if Gau is present" clause to that patch means that anything from the phantom train (for starters) will be rendered unlearnable. I still need for him to be able to learn them all, so I'll have to do it manually... and what a shame, that patch comes so close.

So, if I were to use the free space at 026669 (headered), is this what you mean?

Code:
(@0261C5)
C2/5FC5: 20 69 64

(@026669)
C2/6469: 20 07 4A 60

I'm guessing I'm close but not quite right, because it freezes the game Tongue

Status
Tissue-aware
Well your code seems alright. I might have missed something but I don't know what... Have you tried the patch?
  Find

Status
None
I haven't yet, because testing it requires a new playthrough all the way up to being able to buy dried meat. I think I will though, to see if maybe I'm lucky and the description is inaccurate Tongue

EDIT: Now, reading Gi Nattak's last observation though, I could have him start with all enemies the party would normally fight up to the point of buying dried meat, and then the patch could take over. The only thing I don't like about this option is the bosses on the Rage list (how I'd have to have Gau in my party each time I fight any of them, which I believe is impossible). Is there a way to replace which monsters actually can be learned as a Rage? Then, I could have only "repeatable" battles on the list, and it would be completely fine for Gau to need to be in the party.

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-29-2013, 12:20 AM)RegalClown Wrote: Is there a way to replace which monsters actually can be learned as a Rage? Then, I could have only "repeatable" battles on the list, and it would be completely fine for Gau to need to be in the party.

if the formation has a monster that id is lower than 256, gau will learn all rages from that formation.
  Find

Status
None
That has its advantages and its disadvantages. Ugh. Lol but it's a solution and I appreciate it.

The patch works just as it said it would, so I think I like my odds, but I'll likely have quite a few manipulations to make.

EDIT: Actually the only manipulations are to make Chupon & Allo Ver available in random battles, and make Sigfried start on his list. I've actually made all monsters you can possibly battle to the point where you can get him show up on his list to start with, so you don't have to mess around in the Veldt right away.

The key is that nothing else is missable... my dumb @$$ forgot that, even if you fight them without Gau in the party, you'll see them again on the Veldt with Gau anyway, and simply killing them will do the trick as always. Nothing to worry about, thanks to Gi Nattak and Madsiur (once again!), problem solved.

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-29-2013, 12:20 AM)RegalClown Wrote: I haven't yet, because testing it requires a new playthrough all the way up to being able to buy dried meat.

You can download savestates ;)

http://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff6/ff6saves.htm

http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/save.../index.htm
  Find

Status
None
Yes but then Sabin would glitch out because some of the modifications I made cause him to freeze the game in battle unless he has joined your party the nornal way first (thats when the bytes are set)