Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Questions: Learning magic for PC's 12-16

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Vampire
Hello all, its been years since ive been here but I have several questions...

1) I was trying to find out if there are any hacks out there that grant the last 4 PC slots full magic learning menus like the rest of the team. If I recall, even if you give the assigned character in those slots the magic command they still cant learn spells but can equip the espers.

2) In addition to this, is there a way to make more than one actor learn lores or blitzes or at least change which one does? OR is it the pc slot itself that is the 'learner' if someone knows itll help save time.

3) And then battle commands, is it possible to create more "free spell" kind of commands without writing over something used? by "free spell" i mean Shock and Health.

See I plan on a hack making some of the npcs into mercenaries:
Katrin - Blue Mage
Vargas - Monk
Zigfried - Swordtek
Daryl - (for her skill I want that move "Hyper Drive")
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Thread on the technical side of learning magic.

Patch for Shared Magic between characters

Thread On Learning abilities

As for the last question, creating new "Free spells" yes, fairly easy. It does have to replace a command already in game. Don't think anybody has come up with a way toadd more all new commands. That being said there are commands that can easily be rewrote without anybody really noticing they are gone.

Hope this helps.

Thread: Expanded Palettes Patch Info

While I'm posting links and all, this is the one about The Expanded Palettes hack. Pretty sure all the links in it are broke so let me know if you need the patch. I have a couple of versions, I know at least one of them is the final working one.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Vampire
Well thank you for the quick reply. the answers were as I thought. As Im a spriter and not a hacker my options here are clear. PC slots 13-16 are best for Lore if i want to give any of them some form of magic. Terra seems to also have a seperate magitek set altogether... I assume i can do the same thing with that... only difference being sharing the same command name
  Find

Status
Zombie
If I remember correctly, the Shared Magic patch is extremely straight forward in using. Granted you'd have two characters with the same list of magic, and they'd both learn to the same list, but it's a minor detail in the overall view and could be used creativly without much hard hacking.

The expanded palettes patch CAN be hard to setup if you have to chamge it to work around other hacks but installing and using is, again, straight forward standard patching.

They both do pretty technical stuff, but have been made to be simple to apply.

Creating a full new command would be a bit of a learning experiance, but to mimic Shock it would be mostly copy and Paste. Could rewrite a command such as Summon, I think.

Find

Status
Vampire
well speaking of commands, I see that ff3useme allows you to alter certain things. For example it appears I could make coin toss into 'Hyper Drive" but is it appearance only? i dont wanna spend my coins for that lol
  Find

Status
Zombie
Did some playing yesterday with the idea of changing a command to work like Shock/health. Now keep in mind I'm a bit rusty and I've never touched the visable side of commands (the stuff you can change via editor).

That being said, while it still seems pretty straight forward, after setting up coin toss to cast Hyperdrive, it always missed. Some looking in the editor showed Hyperdrive's hit rating at 0% (least I think thats what I was looking at) but even after changing it, the skill always "missed". Not sure if it is the skill itself that is not hitting or something else. As I said I've only ever played with little things in the code of skills, never tried a change that large so still not sure which side of it is causing the 100% miss rate (the code, the spell, the graphic/spell settings, or some reminants of the code I'm over writing.)

That's just some small details though. The thing I'm not sure I can change like this is the name of the "spell" that is displayed in battle when it's used (such as "Shock" or "Health"). It doesn't seem to be directly coded in the skill itself. Might be easier to just to remove that attack name display or name it something generic (like "Chi attack" displayed for all of them regardless of what the graphic or spell is doing). Not sure. Ideally could tell it to read the command name and display it but I'm way to out of the game to attempt that atm.

Will look at it some more later.

Find

Status
Vampire
Wow, ok

thanks for testing that. I just assumed that if you changed that it would act the same as coin toss but with a much cooler visual effect...

It looks like if I don't want to scrap Shock, then it will have to be Health.

That command is Ideal for making 1 spell commands with their own special look. I just wish there were more extra commands set up exactly like this. Ah well, I wanted to make health into something better like using the white wind formula but I want the Hyper Drive command so ill just go with that.

Still, The fact that you changed the gfx of coin toss and now it just misses means that that option to change the visual effects is doing more than just that. Perhaps it has something to do with the skill needing to utilize your money as part of the formula?
  Find

Status
Zombie
Changing the skill Possess

Just for the sake of being complete, another relevant thread to this topic.

Probably the most relvant to the last few post actually.

Find

Status
Vampire
ah yes that is very relevant. Possess is another command id trade for casting another spell. and it looks like it gives details on what gp rain does too which explains problems with it missing. but it looks like the easiest way for me to get Hyper Drive as a command is replacing possess. Thanks for the info!

I also find Morph/Revert useless at least late in the game.
  Find