Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF3usME Spacing Issue

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
That's strange. When I search for offset 4678 it leads me right to C0/4678 and the A902...hm. Well, change the linear offset (the address) to: SNES Hi-ROM, that way it shows the bank you are in. To do that, just go to 'Option' at the top, and 'display linear offset as>SNES Hi-ROM. Then manually navigate to that address I guess.

You said: Perhaps I should be clearer, I am edited the Stand Guard ROMhack, not the original ROM. Looking at the original ROM there appears to be values there instead of 00's, but even then none of them say A902. Also I am looking to remove the 'hold B to dash' function entirely and simply make that the constant walking speed (as I have found that wearing sprint shoes and holding B at the same time accelerate the character to ridiculous speeds).

That's the prob then yeah. I saw it was the Stand Guard hack, but I don't know what they could have done with all that data there.. I don't know if they relocated it or erased it or used a patch that changes all that, or what. Maybe try searching for a byte strand that used to be there.
Go to search>hex search, then enter a string of bytes that used to exist there.
Ex: A90299750860

That, and/or get in touch with the author of the hack.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Talon19892 (06-03-2013)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-02-2013, 04:55 PM)Talon19892 Wrote: I don't see anything saying A902. Where should I be looking?

On the 2nd screenshot, you are not editing an ROM file (.smc). You are editing some copy.inp file. Also, I don't think the Stand Guard hack has a huge block of code moved from bank C0 to somewhere else. Finally the offset I gave is right, I even found it myself to test it. But changing the LDA #$02 to LDA #$03 will only make the default speed faster. To removed the "hold B to sprint" feature, I suggest you have a look at MasterZed patch and see if the is an anti-patch available and then apply it to the Stand Guard hack.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Quote:On the 2nd screenshot, you are not editing an ROM file (.smc). You are editing some copy.inp file.

[Image: black-guy-star-trek-facepalm-gif.gif]

So yeah... I opened the RIGHT file and here is where I'm at now:

[Image: Undsfhsgjtitled.jpg]

I can see 'A902' and '997508', but where do the 'LDA #$02' and 'STA $0875,Y' come in? Is there more to extract from these values in order to edit them? I've been looking through some of the Hex editing tutorials here hoping to find the answer but not finding anything.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
LDA and STA are mnemonics for assembly language, which is essentially hex translated into a readable format. To get more information on those you would need to look into 65816 assembly tutorials.

All you would need to change to modify the default walking speed is the 02. Raising it to 03 would make it like the player is always wearing sprint shoes. Higher than that and you may start moving too fast, or start seeing other strange things occur.

Keep in mind that there are points that the game intentionally disables sprinting for several reasons, and doing this change will prevent that from occurring. In particular, I noticed while building my hack that allowing the player to sprint during the battle at Narshe trivializes the battle by allowing the player to skip virtually all fights by zooming straight to Kefka.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Synchysi for this post:

Status
None
Quote:LDA and STA are mnemonics for assembly language, which is essentially hex translated into a readable format. To get more information on those you would need to look into 65816 assembly tutorials.

I've been reading into ASM hacking and trying to understand this process over the course of this thread and man, I think a lot of this is just going over my head. I know that all I need to do is change that 2 to a 3 but I have no idea what tools to use or how to get to and SEE the 2 to change it to a 3. I think I'm gonna throw in the towel on this one, also because...

Quote:Keep in mind that there are points that the game intentionally disables sprinting for several reasons, and doing this change will prevent that from occurring. In particular, I noticed while building my hack that allowing the player to sprint during the battle at Narshe trivializes the battle by allowing the player to skip virtually all fights by zooming straight to Kefka.

...this is a very good point. Now I'm thinking that it wouldn't be such a good idea to change the default moving speed at all. I think it might be much better to see if there's a way to change the dash hack from 'hold B to dash' to 'press B to toggle dashing' to avoid having to hold the button down all the time. I think I'll try getting in contact with Master ZED to see if this is possible.

Either way thank you guys for putting up with my dumb questions! You've been great help!
  Find

Status
None
(06-03-2013, 04:30 PM)Talon19892 Wrote:
Quote:LDA and STA are mnemonics for assembly language, which is essentially hex translated into a readable format. To get more information on those you would need to look into 65816 assembly tutorials.

I've been reading into ASM hacking and trying to understand this process over the course of this thread and man, I think a lot of this is just going over my head. I know that all I need to do is change that 2 to a 3 but I have no idea what tools to use or how to get to and SEE the 2 to change it to a 3. I think I'm gonna throw in the towel on this one, also because...

For the record, you can change the 2 to a 3 right there in your hex editor.

Quote:
Quote:Keep in mind that there are points that the game intentionally disables sprinting for several reasons, and doing this change will prevent that from occurring. In particular, I noticed while building my hack that allowing the player to sprint during the battle at Narshe trivializes the battle by allowing the player to skip virtually all fights by zooming straight to Kefka.

...this is a very good point. Now I'm thinking that it wouldn't be such a good idea to change the default moving speed at all. I think it might be much better to see if there's a way to change the dash hack from 'hold B to dash' to 'press B to toggle dashing' to avoid having to hold the button down all the time. I think I'll try getting in contact with Master ZED to see if this is possible.

Either way thank you guys for putting up with my dumb questions! You've been great help!

Making it a toggle is probably not easy, but it should be a simple enough matter to change it to 'hold B to walk.' I've already had to modify the B-button dash hack (as it also ignored points where sprinting is disabled), so I can probably whip something up real quick if that solution works.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
Quote:Making it a toggle is probably not easy, but it should be a simple enough matter to change it to 'hold B to walk.' I've already had to modify the B-button dash hack (as it also ignored points where sprinting is disabled), so I can probably whip something up real quick if that solution works.

Yeah actually that solution would work perfectly.
  Find

Status
None
http://www.synchysi.com/ff6h/b-button_walk.rar

There are two patches there, since I didn't know if you were using a headered or unheadered ROM.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
I'm having a bit of a problem with that patch. When applying it to the ROM I'm working on the game immediately freezes and begins graphically glitching (or even going black) when attempting to move in any direction. I tried it with the original ROM and it doesn't seem to do anything at all there.
  Find

Status
None
It works fine when I test it on a fresh ROM. Keep in mind that the opening sequence at Narshe is one of those that has sprinting disabled, so you'd have to get past the scene with Tritoch to see if it's working.

As for the problem with your ROM, I couldn't tell you what the issue is without looking at it. My best guess is a header mismatch; whichever patch was locking up your ROM, try applying the other one.

Brave New World
  Find