Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
"Blank" or "Template" FFVI rom, Disassembly question

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello

Had an idea, was wondering how feasible it would be. Basically, is it possible to remove all scripts, dialogues, etc from the FF6 rom, leaving blank spaces (00 or FF, I suppose) for the insertion of your own? Or going further still, creating a sort of blank map (world, town, etc) with parts labelled as to their address in the rom (say in the upper left hand corner of each "block") (or alternatively a "debug mode" similar to Sonic the Hedgehogs) so a hacker can basically do an interactive building process, eg I know I want Midgar to be at such and such position on the world map, move my player to said location, note its location in the rom, add a town marker, enter the town (blank) and note the locations for buildings and stuff, make the changes to the rom, etc etc.

Too much work? Just a thought.

Also, I am looking for a complete (or as near complete as possible) disassembly of the FF6 rom
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
That kind of work would be counter-productive in most cases. Blanking events removes things like transitions between maps and other things like event bits the game needs to function properly. I'm no expert on events, but I'm pretty sure you would end up with a lot of gaps where the events would have to be left in. You would end up with only marginally less work to do than if you started with an unhacked ROM and just used the documentation already available and worked from there.

As far as the Sonic-esque interactive building mode; that's pretty much off the table. The maps are hardcoded and making an editor of sorts would required turning almost the whole game into variables. The editor alone would take up most of the ROM, then trying to get event code to work on top of the dynamic maps? not happening. Again, you are better off using the tools already available for map editing and learning event code.

If you want a complete dissasembly, download snes9x and disassemble it yourself. As far as disassembled and interpretted work: most non-compressed, non data code has already been commented on and put online by bank. As you do your own hacking... add your own comments.

Bottom line, there is no shortcut when it comes to real in-deapth rom hacking. But FF3 is probably the single most well-documented and supported SNES rom out there, second only to maybe Super Mario World.

Good luck! Hope this "helps".
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Lol, I did not mean as in how in the sonic debug mode you can place tiles, just how in the hud the score and time is replaced by location in the rom.

Snes9x can disassemble? Great! I have used Zsnes most of my emulating life, and only recently switched to bsnes because zsnes was scragging the music; I thought I broke something lol. Almost started over Laugh
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
Necropost. (Yes, I consider an answer after a week a necropost)

I won't comment your built in editor idea because Terramano pretty much summerized the whole thing.

(12-15-2012, 09:38 AM)ntzrmtthihu777 Wrote: Also, I am looking for a complete (or as near complete as possible) disassembly of the FF6 rom.

Complete disassemblies with comments exist for all the code banks (C0, C1, C2, C3 and the less frequently studied C5, D4, 7E, EE). There are at least 2 existing data ROM map, there is an event command document and two version of a general purpose document that summarize a lot of thing. There is also two website for data format that is somehow outdated because of editors. There is a web page for AI scripting. There is a website for a small RAM map and I did a thread will all the RAM addresses that I've found on 3 forums.

Final Fantasy VI Offset Guide (ROM map) Download Here
Bank C0, C1, C3, C5, D4 Disassemblies Download Here
Bank C0, C1, C3 Disassemblies (different comments) and Event Dump Document Download Here
Bank E5, EE Disassemblies and the Event bit List document Download Here
C2 Disassembly Download Here
C2 Disassembly (different comments) and FF3 ROM info Document Download Here
Final Fantasy VI ROM Hacking guide (data mapping) View Here
Monster AI Commands View Here
Incomplete RAM Map View Here
RAM Map Thread (not 100% sure on some addresses) View Here

You can start by this. Still all the above links are in the "Links & Resources" section, there is no excuse for new people to not at least have a look to those links. Some links description could be more complete or improved but still I wonder if people spend as much time searching as I am spending time posting resources links...

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • seibaby (03-04-2014)