Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Split-Disassembly in FF6

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Split dis-assembly is a new form of hacking in Sonic games that started around 5 to 6 years ago(in a way its not so new). This process involves completely taking apart the game exporting everything into a bunch of folders and files then you can use certain editors to make your changes and when you're done re-assemble the ROM. It also exports the game's code in a asm file that can be opened up in any text editor(for this I use Context its made for these files).

Long story short I was wondering has there been any development on something like this for FF6 it has been proven more useful than restricted editors. So its basically a suggestion for those who can code stuff like this.

Wink So whats the plan? Objection! Go chargin in guns blazin!

Youtube:2010gaje http://www.youtube.com/user/2010gaje
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I'm confused... what's the advantage over the standard same-file hex-editing we've been using?

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
The advantage would be to have everything organized in file/folder format to edit instead of going from offset to offset. Trouble is complex RPGs would be a NIGHTMARE to work with in both the dis-assembly and re-assembly. Would be nice, but, doubtful if it actually ends up working.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Status
Traitor
If someone were to want to do this, I could decompress all the art that's compressed in the game that I can, and then organize it in folders. People would just need to recompress it once they're done editing it.
Title screens, battle backgrounds, and more.
  Find

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Status
Regen
I could probably extract out the statistical stuff like stats. Would be an interesting project...

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Status
Traitor
Lets not make this about obtaining people who'd like to help, lets just contribute to the cause. We all can do our part by simply uploading our extractions and later on organize it.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
It's a good idea but is there a way to convert text dissasemblies like we know them in ASM files ? Or is there a way to read the ROM and having as output ASM files ? If so, then it's feasible but if not, you need to manually dissasemble all the routines and it would be an huge project, no to mention that some dissasemblies have obscur regions, which only a few people can tell if it's data or code. What I mean is that some aren't 100% clean. I would collaborate to such a project if I have help and if the answer is yes to any of the first two question I asked.
  Find

Status
None
I dont think you can convert the Text files we have now but they can be used as a base.No sense in throwing away useful info.

If we were to work on making a Split-Disassembly for FF6 it would not be a extract and upload what you got.

When you use these programs on Sonic games they automatically extract everything in a certain format binary or asm text files(for scripts sometimes they contain music data)

everything is still compressed(if it ever was)and we need to do would be edit the files individually and edit the asm text file(I recommend opening it in ConText its made to open these files but any text editor can read them)

then use the build command line program and you have the entire game repacked and ready for the emulator.Now we don't need to worry about sizes for bosses or we can create sub-routines easier.

Its a very time consuming task but the end result outweighs the labor.

If you still don't get it go to Sonic Retro download a split disassembly and test it out yourself.

The Sonic 2 SVN by Xenowhirl comes with a source code that maybe someone can use as a base and then modify it for FF6.

Find

Status
Traitor
(05-26-2012, 01:26 PM)Gaje Wrote: I dont think you can convert the Text files we have now but they can be used as a base.No sense in throwing away useful info.

If we were to work on making a Split-Disassembly for FF6 it would not be a extract and upload what you got.

For graphics, it would.
  Find

Status
None
What I mean by that is, we upload things we've converted into useable formats everything would need to be in its original form.

So in terms of Graphics the art that is compressed would stay compressed and the art that isn't compressed will stay in the same form as well.

Same thing goes for the music data (includes sound cores as well as SPCs).

Find