Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Battle commands change

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Well, the $11E4 that's loaded before the comparison is a bit to check if Gau has leapt and is available to return. I haven't tested it, but I assume without that BIT #$02 instruction, Gau would either never reappear after leaping, or would appear after combat on the Veldt regardless.

I was incorrect above that it's the check for Leap.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
After some more testing:

.... Note to self, always check controversial codes on clean rom....

Anyway, rechecked the code on a clean rom (yeah, I'm stupid) and actually, believe it or not, he lept, and came back fine. That is without the Bit #$02.

Again, no clue what it does. But (as long as I haven't broke something else beforehand) bit #$02 doesn't seem to be needed. Least I can't find a reason for it. Maybe something to do with learning the rages on Leap and return? I didn't check that.

I admit, I see what your saying, I see the code, I see the comments, it SHOULD be required and shouldn't work without it. Maybe I am loony but it sure doesn't seem to do what it should or shouldn't do.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I just tested it and it worked fine for me. I was able to see Rage in the second slot in his battle menu outside the Veldt. On the Veldt it was replaced by Leap. His Leap seemed to work properly and he returned just fine without crashing the game. This leads me to believe there's something else that was changed in your ROM.

I tried it with and without the BIT #$02 instruction and it worked fine both times...so I don't know what purpose the BIT #$02 instruction serves, but I'd leave it in all the same.

I did find one mistake in my code above but it wouldn't be causing the game to crash (I just had the wrong index for Rage; the only effect would be a different battle command showing up).

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
@Catone post #18:
So, that's what it's called! No wonder I had a hard time finding information about those opcodes. I only manage to find three. Many thanks for the information and the link Catone! Bookmarked it into my hex editing folder. Nope, strange as it may sound, I understood it quite well, no need for clarification. It would of been quite a different story if you'd used the same exact explanation to me over a year ago. Having a reference to those opcodes will really help me out. Thank you for reminding me about the code being reverse, that one completely slip out of my mind. I know this is how the events are written, but I am not ready for those yet. Added that piece of info to my Notepad.

@Synchysi post #19:
That explains a lot as to why my game was crashing in my early "naive" days of hex editing. I used $FF instead of $EA since I've seen FF quite frequently, thank you for answering another question that I would of eventually have ask down the line if I wouldn't of found it myself. I've added this piece of info to my Notepad as well. Many thanks for the links, I know I'll be going to bed tonight smarter!

Reading the links both Catone and Synchysi provided with the C2 bank document, the missing puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place. This is still new territory for me, but hex editing as become a little bit more easier and interesting for me. I don't know how to give proper thanks to your post(s), maybe because I haven't posted enough yet. But you guys deserve to be thank properly.
  Find