Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
R.I.P. MCA

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
Those of you who are old like me will miss MCA (aka Adam Yauch). His influence on music as a whole will be missed. Nothing was more badass back in the day then to put on a Beastie Boys tape and cruise the streets. And I mean on foot with a boombox on your shoulder--yes I'm that old.

Too young to know what a real boombox is?

[Image: boombox.jpg]

^ THAT is a boombox. Somewhere I still have my Yorx...

*edit*
Searching google found what exact model I owned!

[Image: 2u6zm6c.jpg]

Mine was just like that, only in much better shape... It had a detachable walkman and detachable speakers too! Man I gotta find it somewhere. I copied many tapes back in the day on that.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I knew MCA had cancer in the past month so it isn't a shocking news but still very sad. The Beastie Boys influence on the rap industry has been huge and I spent my teenage years listening to them. How could I forget "Liscense to Ill" and "Ill Communication"? Those album were really great and I also loved the less known "Aglio e Olio" for the garage/punk side of the group. What is a bit sad is that I never saw them live but their music is however tied to really good memories...
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
whooo I was a little kid when those things were around

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
(05-05-2012, 04:53 AM)Madsiur Wrote: I knew MCA had cancer in the past month so it isn't a shocking news but still very sad. The Beastie Boys influence on the rap industry has been huge and I spent my teenage years listening to them. How could I forget "Liscense to Ill" and "Ill Communication"? Those album were really great and I also loved the less known "Aglio e Olio" for the garage/punk side of the group. What is a bit sad is that I never saw them live but their music is however tied to really good memories...

They personified the phrase "it was about the music" and not money. They along with a bunch of other hip hop groups of the 80's were about the music and life message. Not selling out like anything made after 1992-1993-ish. Hip hop today is garbage, these guys and gals have NO idea what good hip hop is. And those artists that were around back then that still release stuff they have amnesia.

Listen to the lyric of these old school songs, they are so well writen and purposeful. My prime example is Paul Revere from The Beastie Boys. There is a great story told in that song. One of my all-time favorites.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah, wow, what a shame. He was so much too young to die. God damn cancer, I swear. Such a rare kind also.. I've been rockin' a Beastie Boys poster in my room for as long as I can remember. And last night we played many BB songs, was awesome. R.I.P.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.