Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Miss if targeted enemy dies?

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
Is it possible to have this game behave like older FF games, where you can't just spam the A button to win a fight?

I want it to miss if my character chooses to attack a specific enemy that happens to die before that character takes his turn.

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Eh? I don't understand what is it that you want to do.

You want the attack to miss when...?

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Like if the character targets/attacks a monster, but that monster gets defeated by another character before that first character's turn to attack that monster initiates, so instead of that character's targeting auto-switching to another monster, it would still attack the defeated monster who in no longer there, and inevitably miss - like it did in the very first Final Fantasies games. Sounds like de-evolution in terms of the battle engine, but to each is own.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-24-2012, 05:00 PM)PJM Wrote: Is it possible to have this game behave like older FF games, where you can't just spam the A button to win a fight?

I want it to miss if my character chooses to attack a specific enemy that happens to die before that character takes his turn.

It probably possible to disable the auto-retargetting but some specific things have to be taken into consideration. You must first find a way to make a check on the targetted monster to see if he's still alive right before or at the very beginning of the character action. Then you must find a way to waste the character's turn (resetting his ATB gauge). There might be a place that you could only branch to a "miss attack routine" or portion of code if the check fail and that would be a lot simpler.

And I'm thinking about something else as I'm writing this: do you want that for all the types of attack (including special skills)? In this case you might have to change more code. The code related to those changes should be in C2 unless I'm mistaken. I might eventually take a look at this but now I don't have enough free time for that.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Status
None
(01-24-2012, 08:36 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Like if the character targets/attacks a monster, but that monster gets defeated by another character before that first character's turn to attack that monster initiates, so instead of that character's targeting auto-switching to another monster, it would still attack the defeated monster who in no longer there, and inevitably miss - like it did in the very first Final Fantasies games. Sounds like de-evolution in terms of the battle engine, but to each is own.
A de-evolution indeed. I just liked how I had to pay attention to the battles in FF1, but in 4 and 6, I can just hold down the fast forward key in the emulator while holding down a, and walking back and forth on the world map, and in no time I've leveled a ton.

I guess I consider it a way to make the game a bit harder while not touching any levelling or monster stats.

Madsiur Wrote:It probably possible to disable the auto-retargetting but some specific things have to be taken into consideration. You must first find a way to make a check on the targetted monster to see if he's still alive right before or at the very beginning of the character action. Then you must find a way to waste the character's turn (resetting his ATB gauge). There might be a place that you could only branch to a "miss attack routine" or portion of code if the check fail and that would be a lot simpler.

And I'm thinking about something else as I'm writing this: do you want that for all the types of attack (including special skills)? In this case you might have to change more code. The code related to those changes should be in C2 unless I'm mistaken. I might eventually take a look at this but now I don't have enough free time for that.
That seems like a lot of work :S. It's not something I'm "that" passionate about, just something that popped in my head recently and I was wondering if it was possible or had been done before.

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
It's a great idea/mod, for sure. I bet many people would indeed like to add that oldschool feel to the battle engine, and your right about the holding the button down turbo thing. Try that in my hack, and the game over screen will show up faster than u could say "WTF?!" ^_^ haha..

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Status
Regen
That's one thing that I always thought the Final Fantasy series needed to keep. No more just using turbo or holding down "A" to win battles. That's one reason why I created my original FF2usHT and FF3usHT so you had to actually stop and strategize. Holding down "A" won't get you very far... Especially on MQHT.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-24-2012, 10:10 PM)PJM Wrote: That seems like a lot of work :S. It's not something I'm "that" passionate about, just something that popped in my head recently and I was wondering if it was possible or had been done before.

JCE300GT Wrote:That's one reason why I created my original FF2usHT and FF3usHT so you had to actually stop and strategize. Holding down "A" won't get you very far...

Well it seems it was already done and JCE knows more than me about itLaugh
  Find