Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Extracting text from Breath of Fire

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
So, I was thinking of doing some basic text editing for Breath of Fire. While the original translation is better than the Breath of Fire 2 one, this one could use some touching up. Right now, I obviously don't have the skills to insert the script myself, but right now I just want to simply dump the text.

The issues I've been faced with is the lack of table files, as I haven't been able to find any good table generators, much less any guides. I spoke with some people on GBATemp and they recommended I started off simple; in this case, write my translation on a spreadsheets.

If I'm confusing you, I apologize, to sum up, I simply need to find a way to dump both the script and tables from Breath of Fire (USA). I already have a Japanese ROM to make a reference to.

Any suggestions on how to extract it? I won't worry about insertion until I get more hex skills.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Did you try the snes9x debugger? that may help finding the game script.

Ryusui (the guy that retranslated BOF2) is working on retranslating BOF for the GBA. You'll probably want to check the dragon tear forums for his thread.

Status
None
Huh. Never thought of that. Wouldn't you have to find the offsets? Anyways, I'll give that a shot. Yeah, I'm gonna have to ask that youtube user you mentioned, there's no apparent option in the Snes9x debugger that even mentions the offsets for the script.
  Find

Status
None
(10-19-2011, 12:02 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: Huh. Never thought of that. Wouldn't you have to find the offsets? Anyways, I'll give that a shot. Yeah, I'm gonna have to ask that youtube user you mentioned, there's no apparent option in the Snes9x debugger that even mentions the offsets for the script.

*Sigh* I give up.

Status
None
決まりだ...俺は諦める. さらば. Better lay low for a long time, I've been nothing but a real problem to all the members here at FF6 Hacking and have done nothing but given you Hell for having to deal with such a noob.

I get the picture; I suck at attempting to learn how to hack. I just plain suck and you won't have to worry about me asking you guys questions anymore.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'll go watch some Rick Roll videos and never pester you guys again.

Good day.

Find

Status
None
(10-20-2011, 12:22 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: 決まりだ...俺は諦める. さらば. Better lay low for a long time, I've been nothing but a real problem to all the members here at FF6 Hacking and have done nothing but given you Hell for having to deal with such a noob.

I get the picture; I suck at attempting to learn how to hack. I just plain suck and you won't have to worry about me asking you guys questions anymore.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'll go watch some Rick Roll videos and never pester you guys again.

Good day.

What I meant with *sigh* was that I never said Ryusui has a youtube account, and that the thread was on the dragon tear forums. I have never called you noob, and I apologize if I have ever made you feel like one. Truth is, we are all here to help each other and facilitate a nice and smooth "hacking" learning experience.

Instead of taking the attitude of "I suck at hacking" and "I won't ask questions anymore", it would be interesting to see your attempts at trying to hack. It's fine to come and ask questions, as long as you're making the attempt to learn as well.

Status
None
Sorry, had a rough day, which explains my foolish behavior. Sorry about that. But after talking with people on Romhacking.net, it turns out I need to create a table by finding the DTE offsets (or something like that), (here's the thread on the RHDN http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.ph...420.0.html ). If I were to look for the offset "c09xxe" in the game, you'd see likely see the word "castle" next to that address; this means you're in the right area. Then, if you look at "astl" for the DTEs, I should be fine.

The commands for the program Cartographer allow one to create the tables necessary for text editing.

And please, don't worry, you didn't make me feel that way, I brought it on myself and I am indeed willing to go through hell or high water if I have to if I'm to learn rudimentary ROM hacking. I'm just not patient/too hard with myself and I really need to have a better attitude.
  Find

Status
None
there's an option (that I don't recall) which lets you use the debugger to open the HEX and look at game data. If you browse long enough, you should be able to find the text. I remember doing this with breath of fire, and found the character names, as well as item names.

Status
None
I feel like I'm getting really, really close to dumping one of the necessary files....Using the command "Cartographer BOF.sfc Command.txt Output.txt -s/-m" (either -s or -m) but it tells me that it could not find "command.txt" so, I'll look at the hex with Geiger's Snes9x instead. I assume that's what you meant by looking at the hex. (Also have WindHex too).

Edit 11:37PM

Oh! Found something curious at 0x63D6D, 0x63D72 and 0x63D77 (wildcard THEM*, THIS* and THEY*) with Monkey Moore! Will update soon (hopefully)
  Find

Status
None
New post 10/22/11

After speaking with some people on Romhacking, they gave me some very useful hints as to give me a better idea on what do. Apparently, the game doesn't use ASCII at all (since it uses DTE compression) and that a table needs to be made with WindHex32. Making a table with Monkey Moore isn't an issue, but completing one with WindHex is, since it doesn't allow me to. It opens up the table editor, but doesn't free up the space I need to insert the control codes (like <line break> after a word). It's easy to find useful text by searching the word "perish", and making an incomplete table that way. The offset for this part of the text is located at 0x60068.

Why this hex editor doesn't let me make the necessary changes to the Table I'll never know. I wish there was a DECENT table editor (like, one that doesn't freak out like WindHex32). Do you need to expand the ROM then use the table editor to find the control codes?

Here's the incomplete table file created using Monkey Moore - http://www.mediafire.com/?synlsl5gj8lvulk
  Find