Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Odal's FFVI Hardtype

Status
None
Hello, I'm Odal. This is my first time posting, but I've been visiting here for resources on editing FFVI for a while now. This site has been awesome.

I've been working on my Hardtype patch for about 4 months now. I wouldn't consider it a fully completed patch yet, hence why it's v0.2. I still have more thorough testing to do. The goal is to keep the game the same for the most part, but to increase the difficulty. There are very few visual changes (Fenix Down -> Pheonix Down, and Vicks -> Biggs being the most notable ones). Most are stats changes, or changes to what certain overpowered items do. One of my main goals was to make the endgame items not so strong. In vanilla there was too much 9999 damage attacks thrown around. That should only rarely happen in this hack.

Here.
Odal's FFVI Hardtype V0.2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=80ZDOVOI

I have the game balanced pretty much the way I like it up to the WoR. Balancing the WoB was the main difference in v0.1. v0.2 was mostly work on the second half of the game, though I am still in the process of testing it thoroughly. To me, this is the part of the game that needs the most work and has taken the most time. Once I get the balance in the WoR to how I like it, it'll be an actual release.

Probably some of the most notable changes:
-No esper level up bonuses
-Slower HP and MP growths
-More aggressive enemies
-Overall more nerfs to those abusive abilities we all know and love.
-Pheonix Downs cannot be used to kill undeads (life spells still work like they used to).
-Endgame items changed to be chosen more based on their situational usefulness than simply because of their sheer power.

For a more complete list of all of the changes: I tried my best to list all of the changes. I know for sure I left some out, especially really minor ones. But this should give you a jist of what's different. Enjoy.

Odal FFVI Hardtype V0.2 Changes (Click to View)
Odal FFVI Hardtype V0.1 Changes (Click to View)

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I am unsure whether this should go under personal projects or IPS patches. But thanks for posting! The site is in need of some serious action :p

Status
None
I edited the original post to be less angry about losing my original post Tongue

I put it here, because I wouldn't consider it a complete patch. I still have a lot of testing and adjusting to do, especially with the WoR. But if anyone wants to play through and give me feedback, that'd be amazing Laugh I know I get stuck in the way I play and I'm sure there are still some strategies that work better than mine. Especially since I suck at using Sabin's Blitz and I rarely ever use Gau.

Edit - Oh I also, I forgot to post this. I made a video previewing one of the bosses I changed in the WoR. Our great, green, giant, demon friend, Phunbaba! This fight may still change as with all things. I just wanted to show some of the difficulty changes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNvumm4WEQ
I'll admit, I had a few drinks before recording this, which usually makes me more talkative and thus I record things like this.

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Personal Projects is a place for people who're wanting to have a project thread to host all their work for their project, as well as allow people to comment critiques and other influentional ideas. It seems this is done so it should be in the IPS forum. :p
Aside from that, great looking patch Odal! I know it's a difficulty patch, but do you think you'll use some of the resources from this site on your next hack?
Regarding your patch, can we host it on our server instead of Megaupload?

---------------
Ah. I just read your reply and it doesn't seem you're done yet. It's good this was placed in the Project forum.
  Find

Status
None
I may look into using more of the resources here after most of the balancing is done. I would like to make a few more optional bosses and using a map editor to create an island or two would be good to put them where there are currently unused monster domains.

As for something that I would love, which perhaps this does exist but I haven't found it, is something which can change whether Edgar's tools ignore defense or not, specifically for the chainsaw and/or the drill. As it is now, they both ignore defense and I can't turn that off. This makes the choice between them rather bland.

And if I can figure out how to host it here, I'll do that with the next version I come out with.

Status
Traitor
Once your new island is created, I might be able to make it show up on the mini-map. The mini-map is a decompressed image that I can edit. As for hosting, you'll have to send me either your patched rom, or IPs and I'll host it on this site and give you the url to place in your projects/submissions thread.
  Find

Status
None
(08-08-2011, 09:53 PM)Zeemis Wrote: Once your new island is created, I might be able to make it show up on the mini-map. The mini-map is a decompressed image that I can edit.

Doood!! your a boss. might have to ask you about how one day...

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
I would love to get my hands on both v1.0 and v2.0 of this patch... unfortunately Megauplaod is down... and even if it wasn't, my internet blocks most download sites. Can someone post it here? Or send to my email im_so_blonde_16@yahoo.com? I would really appreciate it

Roy-boy
  Find

Status
Traitor
I'd really like to offer some form of hosting on this site. I'd like to give each registered member atleast 5MB of hosting which should be plenty for hosting ips patches, images and whatever else.
As for the original post, I'm quite excited!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-17-2012, 01:58 PM)Roy-boy Wrote: I would love to get my hands on both v1.0 and v2.0 of this patch...

I found version 0.2 but the author removed all the links to version 0.1. Check your email. I would also recommend if you're looking for an increased difficulty version of FFVI a mod made by Auraplatonic called "FFVI: Dancing Mad". I haven't played it but it looks like a really nice challenge and the game seems well balanced from what I've seen on YouTube.

Here's the official thread.

(03-17-2012, 08:14 PM)Zeemis Wrote: I'd really like to offer some form of hosting on this site. I'd like to give each registered member atleast 5MB of hosting which should be plenty for hosting ips patches, images and whatever else.

That is a really good idea. You could allow the hosting after 25 or 50 posts by the user or something like that so people don't register only to have some free permanent hosting even if it's a maximum of 5MB.
  Find