Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback.

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I actually don't know if the softlock is caused by Setzer's intro. I know that there IS a softlock possible using the saves in the save archive, having to do with Setzer's letter respawning in Owzer's Mansion, and players reading it without both Locke and Celes in the party.

The 2 things that the Editor Restoration does is:
1. Restores WoR Vargas event code after saving in FF3usME. This code is actually free space at the end of the dialog pointers code, but since I don't reach the number of lines where I would need that in DP, FF3usME doesn't detect it as dialog pointers when you load up the rom. If you have added more lines, then you may actually be blowing away your pointers every time you apply the editor restoration patch. You'll need to relocate Vargas's event code to different free space.
2. Restores Leo's theme after saving in FF6LE. The FF6LE map editor tries to place a new compressed minimap in C3, but I am using an edited version of Madsiur's new minimap, which puts a better map in a different part of the rom. When FF6LE tries to save the minimap to "free space", it's actually corrupting Leo's theme, causing the sound to glitch out. It also changes the minimap pointer to point at C3, rather than the location where I actually placed the map.

If this seems drastic... I can't stress enough how full Divergent Paths got. I used almost every spare byte in the 3MB rom. If you take Vargas's code, Leo's theme, and the new minimap and figure out how to relocate them to an expanded bank, you might be able to avoid running the editor restoration patch. I don't remember where all of the pointers are, and I won't have time to look until next Wednesday at the earliest. You will likely be able to find the pointers from looking at the rom map on the wiki though.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - by PowerPanda - 01-19-2023, 06:08 PM