FF6 Hacking
New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Returner's Hideout (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. (/thread-4174.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Joshua H. - 02-04-2022

Just thought I’d post a new thread here.  I’m getting to the end of my first project for the community.  And I’d like to start making a hack of my own.  Now that my script is reaching its final form, I’d like to merge the TW Uncensored with Divergent Paths hack.  My wishlist would be to include a new game plus mode with the option to ride a green and/or blue chocobo during the new game plus versions.  It would also be interesting to have an alternate costume for Clyde, which would be assigned to a special gear load out.

My initial concerns are has Rodimus Primal made any headway on a version of his hack that includes the DP hack?  If not, then which patches did he rely on to utilize the updated spell names...no less the uncensored enemy sprites...

Any amount of feedback would be welcome.  I’ll try and clarify my other thoughts around said project throughout the day.*

*These will be found on page 4.

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - SilentEnigma - 02-11-2022

Hi Joshua,

@"Rodimus Primal" to my knowledge has not taken up anything related to Divergent Paths.

I believe he used Restored Ability Names by @Angelo26 as a base, but also manually edited the names to get closer to GBA & added in custom digraphs for a number of enemies, etc. If you want to use Restored Ability Names or something like it, I recommend the "basic" variant of my update/usurpation which includes a few fixes and improvements, and then tweak from there.

Rodimus probably applied all of the graphics changes separately, but the usual one-stop shop is @vivify93's "Total Graphics Uncensorship"... see https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3813/

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Rodimus Primal - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 11:14 AM)SilentEnigma Wrote: Hi Joshua,

@"Rodimus Primal" to my knowledge has not taken up anything related to Divergent Paths.

I believe he used Restored Ability Names by @Angelo26 as a base, but also manually edited the names to get closer to GBA & added in custom digraphs for a number of enemies, etc. If you want to use Restored Ability Names or something like it, I recommend the "basic" variant of my update/usurpation which includes a few fixes and improvements, and then tweak from there.

Rodimus probably applied all of the graphics changes separately, but the usual one-stop shop is @vivify93's "Total Graphics Uncensorship"... see https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3813/

I am currently working on the update for TWUE, so I haven't looked under the hood of Divergent Paths yet. I have thought about doing so to merge both projects, but real life stuff makes it difficult to find spare time.

TWUE does use Angelo's patch, as @SilentEnigma stated, that I tweaked. The Total Graphics Uncensorship patch pretty much does what I did manually.

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Joshua H. - 02-11-2022

Thanks guys, that’s just the kind of info I needed.

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Joshua H. - 02-13-2022

Update: Well, I just DL and patched TGU, RAN, and DP together, in on bundle.  The rom worked all the way up to the point where the game gives you control over Terra (with just one graphical glitch).  You can enter and navigate the menus just fine, but the moment you try to move Terra’s sprite, the screen blacks out.  The rom still seems to be running, though...

All things considered, I’d say that’s a good start.  I’ll run the patches through conflict finder later on, when I have more time.  I’m-a get this dialog script finished first.

Silent Enigma, can I hit you up to find some of the bugs between said patches later this year?  Some time around late summer or autumn might work best.  Panda kept good notes on his work.

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Joshua H. - 02-25-2022

Okay, I’m starting to see how easy it would be to create an expanded NPC as an alternate costume for Clyde. My question moving forward would be, will the expanded NPC have a shared color pallet in the same manner as the main characters of the game?

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Gi Nattak - 02-25-2022

Yes, yes it would.

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Joshua H. - 02-25-2022

Thanks, so I would have to leave the colors of Clydes NPC as they are. Shadow does have an NPC Clyde sprite, but it's not expanded. In theory, I could still add the extra movements of Clyde's NPC sprite without changing the pallet. Hmmm...

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - SilentEnigma - 02-26-2022

(02-13-2022, 12:54 AM)Joshua H. Wrote: Silent Enigma, can I hit you up to find some of the bugs between said patches later this year?  Some time around late summer or autumn might work best.  Panda kept good notes on his work.

No promises, but assuming I'm not swamped then, I would be happy to take a look.

RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - Joshua H. - 02-26-2022

No pressure, I’ll check in again later this year.