Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback.

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
(03-11-2022, 03:07 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: Okay, one last question, since I have both the ability rename and graphic unsensored .ips files patched into the Divergent Paths build, what tool should I use next to address the many glitches taking place.  Should I play through the game with an emulator on Dubug mode?  Or should I use something like HxD or maybe Notebook ++???

On the subject of tools...

I use Geiger's Snes9x Debugger all the time. It has a hex editor built in.
(Unstable with the sound / display filters enabled. Especially wind sound effects can crash the emulator)
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/241/

There are other probably better debuggers out there.
I'm only just now seeing bnes-plus, for example...
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1197/

HxD is good for moving big chunks of data around.
I use WindHex a lot, too.

When addressing conflicts, there's also nothing like a nice visual diff tool for binary/hex.
I use Beyond Compare, but unfortunately it's not free software.

As Madsiur mentioned -- and maybe it goes without saying -- when you move data to another location, you need to update all of the pointers to that data, so the game knows where to look for it at its new location. To do that, you need to find the pointers. Sometimes that is easier said than done. Patch documentation & bank documentation can help here. You can also set breakpoints in the debugger to stop execution whenever the game tries to access data at a given location -- in this case, the original location of the data you are moving.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Joshua H. (03-22-2022), madsiur (03-22-2022)

Messages In This Thread
RE: New FF6 hack in discussion...thanks for any feedback. - by SilentEnigma - 03-22-2022, 02:02 PM