Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: I'd like to see how you handled certain Woolsey-isms as you had said in the Read Me that it was painstaking for you to remove any of them.
I hope someday to get around to a line-for-line commentary on the script, because I expect there to be more than a few questions over time about it.

But here's a quick example:
One of the last Woolseyisms I took out was "loaded for bear". It's a really fun figure of speech, and I hated to see it go, but.... 
1) That scene can be triggered by Terra casting a Cure spell (rather than Fire), in which case the line makes far less sense.
2) I am not aware of firearms existing in FF6's world. (There are rifles attached to vehicles, but no firearms to the best of my knowledge. You would think that if there were any, then Imperial soldiers would use them; but they don't.) Therefore the figure of speech does not conform to lore, which is something I tried to avoid.

I could definitely see a decision like that hitting a lot of people as taking things too seriously, but that is the kind of direction I took with the script -- giving first priority to logical flow.

Having said that---
In the case of submarines, while there is no evidence that they exist, there is also no evidence that they do not exist. [Image: redmage-thinking.png]

(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: I'm curious if it would be possible to even do now that my own project was built from older patches. For instance, the longer item, spell, and monster names (along with the character classes) that you reworked from angelo's old patch would be one. I know you used some of the extra space in the font to expand things, something that I tried and it BROKE when I tried with the item names.
I am planning to isolate the backbone of FF6:ROSE - the expanded names, menu changes, cursor positions, etc. - as a "sequel" to Restored Ability Names.
It's a pretty unwieldy beast, though. It uses:
- 7 variants of the small font graphics set (5 battle + 1 field menu + 1 shops/coliseum preview)
- 3 variants of the items list
- 2 variants of the enemies list
- 2 variants of the major abilities list
...all so that those longer names fit wherever they get displayed.

Everything is documented, so folks should have more than a fighting chance at successfully putting their own spin on it.
Changing a long name to a shorter one is easy; adding a new oversized item/enemy/ability name, or even exchanging one for another, can mean some serious rework.

In TWUE's case, this is the one feature that I do not see patching well on top of the existing hack. (Won't hurt to try, though!)
If you ever wanted to incorporate it, rebuilding TWUE from scratch on top of it may be your best bet. And if that sounds like too much of a nightmare, we can chat.

(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Does this also switch the Dash button too? Master Zed said it was married to the B button when he made his patches, which is why I never added the old Button Config patch in my project.
Yes, dash is always the cancel button now. I just had to tweak MasterZED's patch to read the mapped input instead of unmapped.
The simplest way to make the change is:

Code:
ff3DashB:
C0/D677: AD 19 42    LDA $4219   ; Load 2nd byte for controller 1
Modified:
C0/D677: A5 07       LDA $07     ; Load 2nd byte for main controller (mapped)
C0/D679: EA          NOP
I will probably put out a quick "Cancel Button Dash" patch coming up to which will be FF3dashB + Sliding Dash + mapped input tweak + disable during timed challenges.

(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Will your fix work if the text is moved to a different location or is the fix only affecting the menu?
That recent "Description Disruption" fix, right? It should be compatible. That fix changes "when" the text is read and printed out, but not "where" the text comes from.

(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: One last thing that I don't know if you did, but I was hoping to someday do, is to add Dance Descriptions. I think its the only ability that doesn't have it in Vanilla FF6.
Unless you're counting Rages!

FF6:ROSE does not add any item or ability descriptions beyond what was already in FF6j, which is about the same as what you get in FF3us.

I am a bit on the fence about the GBA added content. Part of me feels that it is superfluous, but part of me gets as much of a kick out of it as anyone.
So, maybe someday--including Dance descriptions. (But knowing me, it would turn into porting over the whole Dragon's Den, too...)

(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Sorry for the long post and congratulations on completing another FF6 project!
The questions are more than welcome. I appreciate your interest in the features! Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition - by SilentEnigma - 04-08-2020, 09:44 AM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition - by REDTITAN - 10-12-2021, 02:26 PM