Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(03-08-2013, 11:45 AM)Capt. Catchphrase Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 04:12 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I'm planning on making instant death through your choices of route impossible or close to it. This is because the choices will not be based around survival, but accomplishing goals or making moral decisions instead. Some endings may be worse than others though...

I wouldn't mind some humorous "game over"/death scenes; those were always my favorite part of the CYOA series. Besides, the very coding of FF6 prevents you from losing your progress (experience wise, anyway). I'm thinking back to "Radiant Historia," a fairly fun DS game that had a great mixture of funny and sad endings for "bad" endings, but always gave you the chance to go back and change your decision. So it may be worth trying. A wrong decision where Ultros somehow takes over the world would be particularly hilarious. XD
Now that you mention it, I really should throw in some death options purely for humorous effect. Laugh I'll still won't make them hard to dodge; I'll make them complete schmuck bait, Forum Fantasy (an RPG Maker game you can download) style, mostly because I don't want to make players afraid of dying on a real choice. In a real CYOA novel it's hilarious to see the death and then flip back to the page you were just on to continue, but it would suck for those who don't use save states to be forced back to the beginning of a long dungeon just because of a small mistake. Or I could try using something where the game pretty much goes into rewind and says "but that didn't happen," but only if it fits the tone at the time.

Confused Moogles FTW

Messages In This Thread
RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - by Lockirby2 - 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM