FF6 Hacking
FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Esper World (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-43.html)
+--- Forum: Lockirby2's Projects (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style (/thread-1992.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Lockirby2 - 03-05-2013

My idea for a hack that I'm planning on creating is to allow players to make choices about where they are going to go next, what they are going to do in certain scenarios, etc, similar to Choose your own Adventure novels and/or gamebooks. The simplest ways in which players will be able to choose their route will be through dialogue options, but in some cases you will be able to choose a route through direct action.

This will obviously require a crudload of event editing, so it will be a long time before I have anything to show for it. I also want to plan out the major choices beforehand, so I won't even be editing for a while.

I'm planning on making instant death through your choices of route impossible or close to it. This is because the choices will not be based around survival, but accomplishing goals or making moral decisions instead. Some endings may be worse than others though...

This game will be based around the world of Final Fantasy VI. The backstory will essentially be that the character you are controlling is from the future, and got sent back in time (for reasons I'll figure out later). Before your character realizes what is going on, he'll accidently cause an issue in the main storyline (He'll cause Terra to be captured by the guards of Narshe early on), messing up the story a little. His main goal is pretty much a Back to the Future ripoff; fix the timeline and return to his time.

The character you are controlling is not supposed to be a faceless protagonist, or I'd have to make him really robotic or a heroic mime. He will start out fairly normal by our standards, and probably a little snarky. I'll try to give him some development as the story progresses, but I'm not a writer or anything, so I don't know how well I'll succeed. I am attempting to make it fairly serious; while there will be humor, it won't be memes or breaking the fourth wall.

The other characters will be featured as often as possible, along with probably a larger array of temporary characters. Gogo and Umaro won't be featured, as I probably won't be making a WoR segment (there's no structure there for choices to affect).

Gameplay will be a tough one for me. If you go through the same events after a different amount of time and chances to earn items/exp, you could have very different power levels. I may have to make different versions of the enemies to accommodate this in some places, and the game will probably have mild (in comparison to other hacks) difficulty so that you won't be stuck in any area. I may make parts more difficult based on your choices though.

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Ghost XIII - 03-05-2013

Sounds promising. I can't say I haven't considered a similar idea before myself, but I lack the skills yet for that. I really can't wait to see where you go with this. It sounds like a really unique hack idea and one that could be a lot of fun to play.

I can't promise a huge amount of time investment for the immediate (I have a lot of stuff on my plate until about May or June,) but if you want any help I'd be glad to lend my services in whatever way I can -- namely sprites or writing.

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Lockirby2 - 03-05-2013

Thanks for the offer! I want to try my hand at the writing first, but if it turns out to really suck, I'll definitely need a few pointers at the least. I'm surely going to need help with the spriting at some point, but it's not like I'll be far enough to truly need it until May or June anyways (at least).

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Angelo26 - 03-05-2013

Seems very interesting. It has been a while since I have created events myself; I have helped Nattak and Djinn before. If you need my assistance, by all means let me know. You can either contact me through the site (I rarely dwell around here these days) or by skype.

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - madsiur - 03-06-2013

(03-05-2013, 09:03 PM)Angelo Wrote: Seems very interesting. It has been a while since I have created events myself; I have helped Nattak and Djinn before. If you need my assistance, by all means let me know.
Give him some work Lockirby2. The guy only been studying and working recently. He needs to enjoy life a bit more! :P

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - CaptCatchphrase - 03-06-2013

That sounds like an awesome idea! I was a big fan of Choose Your Own Adventure books growing up, so if you do that, I'd definitely play it!

And continuing the trend of everyone offering services, I'm no sprite artist and I'm only a newbie hacker, but drawing upon my previous experience as a newspaper editor, if you'd like me to give the script (once it's finished) a once-over for grammar issues, inconsistencies, or things that just plain don't make sense, I'm your guy.

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - SSJ Rick - 03-06-2013

when u can throw up some screen shots or a video

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Lockirby2 - 03-06-2013

It's really cool that you guys are offering so much support. I really appreciate it! I should have all the planning done by March 21st or 22nd hopefully, so that's probably when I'll actually begin to make stuff.

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Angelo26 - 03-06-2013

(03-06-2013, 03:09 PM)Ⓐ Mᴀᴅsɪᴜʀ Ⓐ Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 09:03 PM)Angelo Wrote: Seems very interesting. It has been a while since I have created events myself; I have helped Nattak and Djinn before. If you need my assistance, by all means let me know.
Give him some work Lockirby2. The guy only been studying and working recently. He needs to enjoy life a bit more! Tongue
Lord madsiur, do not throw me under the bus. Lol. I am -slowly- wanting to do events again.
Also, it is very rare to have someone here express interest in event hacking, and even more rare is to find someone who actually WANTS to learn how to do it. The last one who did that was...you (Lord madsiur) I believe?

RE: FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style - Lockirby2 - 03-06-2013

Yeah, I think maybe so. It's been quite a while too, what with me getting caught up in plenty of other stuff. I'm surprised that others don't want to try it that much; with the tutorials available here it's not too hard to eventually get the hang of the technical side, and it is a really powerful tool.