Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
@PowerPanda
Just reminding you about that Kefka's Tower critical bug to be fixed for 1.2!

Thankee!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(10-04-2021, 05:23 AM)Endarire Wrote: @PowerPanda
Just reminding you about that Kefka's Tower critical bug to be fixed for 1.2!

Thankee!

Question: Even though the sparkling red isn't there, did you attempt to check the chest anyway? Because the red sparkle is an NPC while the actual activation of the chest is event-related. I'm just curious if the event part of it was broken as well, which may or may not help resolve this.
Also, which way did you exit the tower, by going all the way back to the start and using the crane/grapple hook, or by casting Warp?

EDIT: After re-reading your initial post about this, I'm gonna guess you made it all the way up to defeating the 3 statues, and then warped out? I just tested that, and yes, the red sparkle NPC is no longer there, but searching the chest (from either the bottom or the right side) still activated that event that clears the rubble/builds the stairs to move up... SO, I'm gonna guess that you did not try and re-check the chest assuming that since the red sparkle is gone, it wouldn't work. It should definitely still work though. This is the same in vanilla. I guess that red sparkle NPC spot gets erased so that other NPC on the map can be shown, or it's simply an oversight.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • PowerPanda (10-04-2021)

Threads: 0
Status
None
I think I may have found a bug, because I was too fast in Nikeah. After seeing the robbers leave the Cafe, I run out, and then down to the boat. And now I can't find Gerad anywhere. Am I out of luck?

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(10-09-2021, 12:47 AM)Raakone Wrote: I think I may have found a bug, because I was too fast in Nikeah. After seeing the robbers leave the Cafe, I run out, and then down to the boat. And now I can't find Gerad anywhere. Am I out of luck?

So Gerad is not at his normal starting spot after talking to the thieves in the pub, as pictured here?:

[Image: p8upVuh.png]

I'm not sure if you know that's where he is or not, before looking into it as a bug.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 0
Status
None
(10-09-2021, 03:20 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 12:47 AM)Raakone Wrote: I think I may have found a bug, because I was too fast in Nikeah. After seeing the robbers leave the Cafe, I run out, and then down to the boat. And now I can't find Gerad anywhere. Am I out of luck?

So Gerad is not at his normal starting spot after talking to the thieves in the pub, as pictured here?:

[Image: p8upVuh.png]

I'm not sure if you know that's where he is or not, before looking into it as a bug.

I'm an idiot. False memories or something. And then I found him in the market. My bad, I apologize!

Threads: 11
Status
None
No sweat, Raakone. Mistakes are a big part of what makes us human. The fact that people still post non-issues here just means that there's still a LOT of excitement surrounding the finished project. It's only natural for others to want to participate...myself included.
  Find

Threads: 12
Status
Brave
I've been watching your stream to see the changes, I'm up to the wounded soldier side quests. I want to tell you about what I think is good and bad. There's a lot of brilliance here and you're not afraid to borrow good ideas. There's also a lot of bad.

Divergent Paths: The raft ride rearrangemet works very well. It makes sense enough that Edgar would jump in after Sabin and having Edgar on the Phantom Train works well and serves Cyan well.

You missed an opportunity in Mobliz though. Terra should have had some kind of scene there considering her position there in the World of Ruin.

I loved the scene with Celes and Leo in Vector.

General Leo: Your general Leo worship goes over the top. However, it's not all bad. Adapting the wounded soldier side quest and the world of ruin extension of that quest works incredibly well and as I said before, is downright brilliant.

I never liked the idea of Banon dying in Thamasa but it almost works. You do develop him enough that his sacrifice isn't without meaning. However, you didn't rewrite the scene where Kefka disguises himself as Ghestal.

In that scene Kafka uses Leo's blind allegiance to the Empire against him to defeat him and that shouldn't work on Banon. Without expanding the ROM I can't see how you can make this work without digging deeper into fan fiction territory by explaining Banon and Ghestal are brothers or something.

Also, your divergent paths concept from the Lethe River wraps itself up completely. From a narrative standpoint, It feels like something specific should happen between the raft ride and the battle at Narche that affects the scene at Thamasa and that just doesn't happen.

I can't tell if I love or hate the scene with Yura at Thamasa. It's a neat idea but it feels really tropey and it feels like it's there to serve the Leo worship thing you have going on.

I do however like the idea of the Emperor appointing Banon as an ambassador and this scene gives his character some much needed closure.

Taking Celes' big scene on the floating continent undermines her emotional complexity.

Other random things:

Why did you use pummel as the desperation attack? Wouldn't it make more sense for each character to just attack with whatever their basic weapon is and add a critical hit flash? I love that you moved tiger break to Sabin's skills. I didn't sacrifice pummel for it but I absolutely did this in one of my own mods.

Your camaraderie between Shadow and Locke is a neat idea but it doesn't go far enough to make them friends. It's a cool scene. I also don't feel like Locke should be using Shadow's ninja weapons. Feels wrong.

Celes being a Valkyrie is both a great idea and really fan servicey. It works well and you've executed it masterfully but it really feels like you just did it so that you could make Leo cooler. I'm guessing you're going to give him a relic that changes runic into shock at some point.

Renaming the genji glove because of symmetry was a bad call.

The joker line is clever but people don't really talk like that. It fits with the mostly unchanged Woolsey script but it comes off as very cheesy in this serious scene.

Sorry that all of the criticism is poorly written and disorganized. I'm supposed to be working right now. Ultimately, I like what you've done here but I think it needs a lot of revision. I'm hoping it's not too late and that maybe you'll take some of this criticism to heart.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I'm proud of Divergent Paths the way it stands (minus a few bugs that I hope to resolve at some point). If I responded to everyone's head canon (like Banon and Gestahl being brothers), I would have never finished the project.

Most of your questions are answered by the documentation that comes with the hack, like why Pummel was used, and why Desperation Attacks in general had to be removed. It wasn't a decision made lightly. Celes being a Valkyrie was also a decision made out of necessity more than any kind of fan service, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

The Genji Glove to Bracers thing was, I admit, more of a personal preference thing. It bugs me that the Genji Glove/Genji Shield are mutually exclusive. "Bracers" was chosen mainly because it's a recurring item in the series whose name had gone unused. I actually HAD another relic named "Genji Gloves" in an earlier build that gave a small bump to your HP/MP, but I had to use that item slot for something special for Gau in the World of Ruin.

Don't be blinded by Leo's eloquence. He uses it to hide his flaws. Pay attention to his body language. Most of the work that I did with Leo is more about the staging of the scene, not the words that he speaks. His arc is one of a good man making mistake after mistake until the world literally comes crashing down around him. The guy is far from a heroic knight, and he has every reason to experience grief over his actions.

Also, that joker line is the best line I've ever written for anything, ever. Laugh

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 12
Status
Brave
Despite all of my criticisms, you should be proud of yourself. There is a lot of elegant brilliance in your hack. And if you goal was to make Leo into one of the game's main characters, you've succeeded.
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
Are there fan-fic out there about Banon and Gestahl being brothers on the internet? I’m busy retooling the vanilla script and could make use of a story thread like that. It’ll work perfectly for a rewrite of Divergent Paths I plan on porting the script over to...

I agree, the joker is probably one of the best lines out there. I’m a little bit jealous.
  Find