Author: Gi Nattak
Apply to a FF3us headerless ROM
Download
Listen (mp3)

Info:
Replaces song - 24: Battle Theme
Offset - C8/FE43
Size - 6DF

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 15
Status
X-Zone
Very Well Done Nattak, I would find this Better than The Dawn of Souls Version; as it fits very well with the Final Fantasy VI Environment. Objection!Smile

Shine 
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I Hope it someday sees it's way into a FFI hack! But it's a fun one to have access to anyway, regardless.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Nice! All this music hacking for FF6 has been giving me some good inspiration for my hush-hush super secret Game Maker project.
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(06-04-2014, 02:27 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I Hope it someday sees it's way into a FFI hack! But it's a fun one to have access to anyway, regardless.

Hey man, I was considering adding your track to my hack for some overworld battles, but I have a small request!  Can you make the intro (the first 2 seconds) a bit slower?  Kind of like 
Tsushiy's intro.  I think your version is far superior, but the intro does not match the other FF3 battle themes.

Edit: Actually, I guess I could just remove that intro part altogether. It also sounds buggy on real hardware for whatever reason...
  Find

Threads: 2
Status
Mental-Break
Not sure exactly what you mean, since the tsushiy version you linked has no intro at all? But I worked up a couple quick edits. One changes the 32nd/16th notes in the intro to 24th/12th notes (matching the ff6 intro that uses 24th notes), and the other basically just splices the ff6 intro in there instead. I also corrected the pitch and echo for both. link

The glitching on real hardware is worrying, though, since this song is doing nothing unusual that might cause a glitch. I'd really like to know what to avoid, if there are any still unknown pitfalls out there! But I've no access to a copier myself, so all I can do is hope.

Unless it was the known echo feedback issue, but that probably shouldn't show up unless you've got some extreme echo going on before the battle (phantom train intro).
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to emberling for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (10-16-2018), Lightning (10-19-2018)

Status
None
(10-14-2018, 07:18 PM)emberling Wrote: Not sure exactly what you mean, since the tsushiy version you linked has no intro at all? But I worked up a couple quick edits. One changes the 32nd/16th notes in the intro to 24th/12th notes (matching the ff6 intro that uses 24th notes), and the other basically just splices the ff6 intro in there instead. I also corrected the pitch and echo for both. link

The glitching on real hardware is worrying, though, since this song is doing nothing unusual that might cause a glitch. I'd really like to know what to avoid, if there are any still unknown pitfalls out there! But I've no access to a copier myself, so all I can do is hope.

Unless it was the known echo feedback issue, but that probably shouldn't show up unless you've got some extreme echo going on before the battle (phantom train intro).

By the way Emberling, I was actually mistaken with the intro of this song being "buggy". It was actually the FF4 boss theme, but I am not using that anymore anyway.  I was listening to your alt versions, and I was wondering if I could request something else instead, because I still think the intro sounds funky. Can you keep the original tempo (not slow it down like you did), and possibly make the intro sound more like this one?
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/lib/exe/...ight_1.mp3

I am only referring to the first 2 seconds of the song here, not the other part.  If you have time to do this, that is... Thanks!
  Find

Status
None
I guess a lot of people are taking a break right now (I don't blame them). I have actually grown to like your FF6 intro version of this track, Emberling. I will just use that one to spare you more work. I actually figured out how to add the reverb/echo back in the song through hex editing, but I can't figure out how you changed the pitch of the instruments! I did command searches for several hours and have not located anything that changes the pitch in the song. I only saw Octave commands, but those appear the same as the original. What command is giving the instruments a higher pitch? It is not the tempo command (F0), because I noticed the speed is set the same in both tracks, just with a lower pitch for the instruments.
  Find

Threads: 2
Status
Mental-Break
Many of Gi Nattak older songs, in addition to the potentially broken echo, accidentally include %k1 on all tracks (D9 01) which makes them all one half-step higher than his source, and so usually inaccurate to the original. The version I sent you I checked against NES, GBA, PSX releases and was correct relative to all; I also shifted the FF6 intro to match this by lowering it one octave and using %k10 to transpose up 10 semitones from there. If you want something different feel free to play around with it but you should probably do it via MML rather than hex editing as it affects multiple tracks and that's very slippery with hex. MML tools are here.

e.g. add %k1 after each {1}, {2}, {3} etc, and search and replace all %k10 to %k11 and %k0 to %k1, to return to incorrect pitch of unmodified version. To return FF6 intro to original pitch change all %k10 to %k12 (or delete all %k## and update octave, if you prefer, but this is easier). etc.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to emberling for this post:
  • Lightning (10-19-2018)

Status
None
(10-19-2018, 08:57 PM)emberling Wrote: Many of Gi Nattak older songs, in addition to the potentially broken echo, accidentally include %k1 on all tracks (D9 01) which makes them all one half-step higher than his source, and so usually inaccurate to the original. The version I sent you I checked against NES, GBA, PSX releases and was correct relative to all; I also shifted the FF6 intro to match this by lowering it one octave and using %k10 to transpose up 10 semitones from there. If you want something different feel free to play around with it but you should probably do it via MML rather than hex editing as it affects multiple tracks and that's very slippery with hex. MML tools are here.

e.g. add %k1 after each {1}, {2}, {3} etc, and search and replace all %k10 to %k11 and %k0 to %k1, to return to incorrect pitch of unmodified version. To return FF6 intro to original pitch change all %k10 to %k12 (or delete all %k## and update octave, if you prefer, but this is easier). etc.

Ahhh, the D9 01 command is exactly it, you are right!  I understand what you are talking about now with the accuracy of the original games (I'm a huge fan of FF1). For some reason though, I kind of like the slightly sped up version on FF3; it sounds fresh in a way.

By the way, when you say it "affects multiple tracks", do you mean to say that certain commands can carry over from one music track to another?  I thought whatever I edit in the one song was specific to that one song?

Edit #2: I guess you are talking about if I try to add bytes or remove bytes in Hex, which would then start to overlap/conflict with other songs (as opposed to commands carrying over). At least I think that must be what you are talking about! You have to forgive me, as I am literally learning all this stuff from scratch. I've spent a lot of time in recent days combing over tutorials, but it's a lot to take in all at once!
  Find