Poll: Should FFVI Hacking expand on it's rom hacking forum by adding a sub-forum under "Hacking Discussion"?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 36.36% 4 36.36%
Yes, but keep it Square or Enix related. (ie, Romancing SaGa, etc) 54.55% 6 54.55%
No, I like it the way it is. 9.09% 1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFVI Hacking Expanse Poll

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
This is a continuation of a thread by a newer user named PSI Ultima.
Here at FFVI hacking, we will are unbiased towards new members and will/should consider your request if it's deemed a necessary cause for positive addition to the site.

Please refer to PSI Ultima's topic here for what this poll is about, and the conversation at hand.
  Find

Status
Traitor
I personally feel we should expand a little, but not become the next Rom Hacking.net. By expanding, we could be compared to Leno's site that has FFVI, FFV and FFIV hacking. At stage one of this sites development, we could have been considered that as well, however, I feel we're different in that we do more graphical stuff. There isn't a statical poll that says this site geared more towards sprite hacks than asm hacks. I welcome each and everyone of you to the site and don't discourage you from doing assembly hacks, however this site is a sprite database for FFVI hacking. If we expanded in the direction of graphical hacks for other Square or Enix games, we wouldn't be submitting tiles for this games into the existing database.

--------------------
You may have seen some of my work with Romancing SaGa 3 from the other thread, here is the download for it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?u4koymjnfn0
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I do think this is a rather good idea. Keeping it Square-related is my personal preference. There's just one thing that I do see to be somewhat of an endeavor.
Our assembly knowledge.
Before we got all these wonderful GUI-based programs to allow us to insert sprites into Final Fantasy VI, someone had to have the knowledge to know what offsets are where sprite data is stored and how it is executed. This just being one game, many other games are programmed differently of course.
So when a new game emerges in interest to the ROM hacking practice, I don't know if we all, at the moment, have the skills to "look" through a ROM, identify what something is, what an instruction is saying, and modify to our needs (i.e. spriting as that seems to be the most popular on the site.)
With all due respect, I believe our community is primarily sprite-based. This isn't a bad thing, as the spriting community was kind of what rooted this idea of other games (i.e. sprites from Fire Emblem, Saga Frontier, Breath of Fire) but what I'm saying is that save for Angelo, Gi Nattak, and you Zeemis, we really don't have a whole lot of ASM hackers. I know I'm not and won't hide it heh. I'm confident beyond anything with events but ASM is like space to me.
I believe the best skill a ROM hacker can have isn't smart use of a program, the creativity and shading of his/her sprites, or even the quality of their ROM hack, but the ability to scan a ROM, find what you're looking for and interpret what the code is saying, and modify it to his/her own needs/wants.
This is a good idea principally-speaking, but I don't know if we'll be able to hold through with it when someone asks "I want to change the damage a staff does in Breath of Fire."
I support it, but only verbally as I can't ROM hack.
Best of hope though. And this site is still my favorite ROM hacking site regardless.
Smile
xJCSx

MAJOR EDIT:
I'm sorry Zeemis, I didn't see your reply from your first post. I do agree on the spriting thing. Spriting wise, it'd be neat, but I don't even know if anyone knows how to insert a sprite in another game, or if there's even a program to insert one...I say ASM scanning comes first before spriting as that's how we draw, edit, and place a sprite in the game.

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Status
Traitor
Refer to this post JCS. :p
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...80#pid8380

God bless YY-Chr.
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
AH I'm missing everything in the entire world today! Ha sorry I see other people have seen what I'm saying. But the work you've done on Saga Frontier IS impressive! I support this 100%. It won't be easy but I do think with some practice it could happen.
Yeah YY-CHR is amazing Wink

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(04-26-2011, 02:23 PM)xJCSx Wrote: There's just one thing that I do see to be somewhat of an endeavor. Our assembly knowledge.

(04-26-2011, 02:23 PM)xJCSx Wrote: This is a good idea principally-speaking, but I don't know if we'll be able to hold through with it when someone asks "I want to change the damage a staff does in Breath of Fire."
I support it, but only verbally as I can't ROM hack.
Best of hope though. And this site is still my favorite ROM hacking site regardless.
Smile
xJCSx

This is the concern I've been trying to explain a couple of posts back. I've noticed as of recently some new members that joined the site, probably excited for hacking after watching zeemis's videos on youtube. But the questions they're asking can only be answered by hex editing the FF6 rom (giving umaro the throw and storm attacks, silencing the snow song from narshe, etc.). If the disassembly banks and the event document were not available, then their interest for hacking the game may have died there.

Maybe someone could have one or two experts in assembly show us the basics of assembly (probably shall could teach us a thing or two?). I only know a a very small portion of assembly; when handling events it's best to ask Justin about it; and nattak is able to work on the events as well.

Why isn't justin a moderator yet? LOL this kid's very smart for his age