Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre Sprites

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
In honor of the impending release of Tactics Ogre for the PSP. I am working on making Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle sprites in ff6 style. Here's what I have so far.

Lancelot Tartare Default Palette 4 Original

Richard Glendale Default Palette 1 Original

Guildus Winzalf Burn Default Palette 0 Original

Mildain Walhorn Default Palette 0 Original

Lancelot Hamilton Default Palette 0 Original

Lancelot Hamilton W/ Blue Cape Default Palette 0 Original

Lancelot Hamilton W/ Green Cape Default Palette 0
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
these arent bad man Smile

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Please read this as constructive criticism, not me being rude.
A lot of these sprites look like FFVI sprite edits with different heads attached. In order to become a better spriter, try to stray away from doing sprite edits and recolors. Your palettes are either too bright, or too simple.
Here is an example of one that's too bright. Dim down the colors a little and it may look good, but don't make it grayish. You can accomplish your look and feel for the sprite by using light blues or navy'ish gray colors. It doesn't all have to be a solid white, or solid gray color. Each color you choose should try to blend with each other so it's easier on the eye. This isn't shading I'm talking about.
[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]

This sprite is just too simple, his back is very flat. Backs in general show depth where the back caves into and over to where the shoulder blades are. With some simple lighter browns, you could easily accomplish this. You will have to eye it and try and assume where the light would hit the shoulders. Picture where the shadows out go as well. It's always good to have a light, medium and dark shade when working on a big surface like hair, or the back. This includes capes.
[Image: imgshk.png]

Poco, you shouldn't say that most of everyones work is good. No one can get better if you say everything is good when it clearly needs a little tuning. This spriter is a person with a lot of potentional, but "good" in my eyes is a sprite with a lot of detail in both where each pixel lines up to show detail, and with good shading. Please do not see any of this as me being rude to you, but if you follow these suggestions, I can promise you'll become a better spriter over time. If you would like me to give examples of where to shade, or how to optimize your palette for shading, I can if you'd like but doing recolors won't get you better as a spriter.
  Find

Threads: 30
Status
None
Seeing as he has not yet submit anything else, this is a decent first attempt. Much better than an import or a recolor. He at least made a somewhat original sprite sheet. Also what do you think of my sig?

[Image: finalfantasy6textboxshe.png]
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
I like the sig, SA, I enjoy the Interceptor. =p The sprites arn't tha bad, but as Zeemis said, it does look like head and body swapping going on. I feel the characters being represented should get a more customized feeling. Great job though, thanks for sharing and keep it up.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
I say, I must agree with Zeemis on this one. The top spriters on this site are (and in no particular order); FEOK, Zeemis, Poco Loco and myself. The only way to get better is to take our constructive criticism and suggestions, seriously. We won't say something to purposely mess you up. Such as saying to not use a certain thing, be it a color choice, hair style, armor style, ectetera; we say it because we believe the choice to be awkward and harmful to the sprite.

Take what Zeemis, FEOK, Poco and myself say with confidence and you will surely grow as you sprite more.
  Find

Threads: 30
Status
None
I don't deserve greatness?... Zeemis doesn't even do sprites...
The incompetent spriter readies knife.
SMAAAAASH!!!
The incompetent spriter took 57 damage.
The incompetent spriter returned to normal.
Ness and friends gained 346 experience!

[Image: finalfantasy6textboxshe.png]
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
Actually, Zeemis has done sprites before and he is better than both Poco Loco and myself. Like I said before; it is best to take our constructive criticism and constantly practice at the craft. While you have done one of the two, you have not taken to heart the suggestions we have made. A good spriter realizes that their original concept isn't going to be the perfect one.

Take your ...Axel... for example. I (just today) showed your avi to my friend when he was over today and asked him if he recognized your sprite at all. He is a huge KH2 fan and Axel was his favorite Nobody and he didn't have the foggiest idea who your sprite was supposed to be. That very reason is why I suggested you change the hair and alter the clothing; it doesn't look like an Org. XIII cloak to begin with and his hair is no where even near what it should look like. I gave you reference pics to show you that Setzer in KH2 doesn't have even a semblence of the same hairstyle as he does in FFVI; so using his hair for Axel would never work out; since Axel's hair isn't as long as FFVI's Setzer and it has to be spiked backwards, where Setzer's is worn down.

I consider a spriter to be a "top" spriter when they are able to produce very high quality sprites by practicing as well as taking the suggestions of other spriters and actually doing something with them. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to fulfill every single suggestion but by changing something you are at least improving what was otherwise an unsatisfactory product. It is nothing against you personally, once you become even more skilled with spriting (no offense but I don't think you are quite at FEOK's level yet, since he can adopt styles with ease and takes suggestions and does what can with them) you will definitely then be a top spriter. So onwards and upwards I say! ^-^
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Some of these may be my own creations, or an edit of a sprite that shows new shading.
Here are examples of pieces I've done or modified greatly to show an exmaple.

[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]

The following are very old sprites from when I began spriting years ago. They show a LOT of pillowshading, which I've learned over time not to do.
[Image: Pedobear_Sprite_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png]
[Image: Ganon_Facial_Portrait_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png][Image: Sheik_Facial_Portrait_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png][Image: Zelda_Facial_Portrait_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png][Image: Vaati_Facial_Portrait_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png][Image: Goron_Facial_Portrait_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png]
[Image: Aperture_Science_Weighted_Cube_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png]
[Image: Ulquiorra_Spirte_Update_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png][Image: The_Companion_Cube_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png] [Image: Nintendo_DS_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png][Image: t953s1.gif][Image: Sheik_Torso_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png]
[Image: t1029s1.gif][Image: t994s1.gif][Image: t994s2.gif][Image: t994s3.gif]
A friend of mine paid me $35.00 for this.
[Image: Great_Bridge_of_Hylia_by_Z_is_for_Zemious.png]
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
'Pillowshading'?

Also, these sprites are just mix-and-match, but that doesn't make them bad, just simplistic. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and at least he's able to line things up correctly.