Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
EPISODIC HACK: Final Fantasy VI The After Years

Threads: 30
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
While hacking Final Fantasy VI I realized just how hard it is to tell a new storyline. The problem is that we are bound by a format of FF6's layout. You get the party members the same way, you get to the places the same way, and you will always end up using the same party in the end. I have an Idea, a new form of hack. The episodic hack. Instead of getting the whole game, you get a save state with certain characters, certain places and a unique plot. Think TAY. I thought a The After Years style game would be a great idea as a lift off this new genre of hacks.

Generic Plot
Kefka sends evil Kefka Spawns and takes over Espers. Espers attack. You defend world.

Each of the old characters have a story. Terra's is trying to escape Kafka's control with the help of Madiun and some other espers. Locke and Celes attempt to find out what Kefka is doing. Edgar and Sabin cure a curse sent on Figaro. Setzer is taking on an apprentice and returns to Daryl's tomb. Gogo is mimicking Kefka and is a boss. Shadow is in hiding and will apear at some point in ev

New Characters
Lerres
Daughter of Locke and Celes. She tries to be the best thief evar. Ends up being the main character. While Locke has Mug now, Lerres has Steal. While Celes has Dualcast, Lerres has Magic.

Reno (Not from FF7)
Setzer's apprentice. He often cheats and tries to get away with bribing. Setzer disapproves. While he has Dice when he joins, Setzer can equip Fixed dice. Reno has Gil Toss which Setzer no longer has.

Gungho
A friend of Strago. He uses quick spells. Weak spells that require no MP.

Draco
The opera performer decided to fight back and defend the Opera House. He fights using Dances.

And more. If anyone wishes to help with the project, please send me a PM or post a comment.

[Image: finalfantasy6textboxshe.png]
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Sounds cool so far, I really like the idea, as well as Draco dancing =0

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
I thought Draco wouldn't know any fighting moves. He is a performer not a Knight. Also I might give him an actual name as opposed to using his stage name. He could be named after an actual actor. His dances may be renamed Acts. Acts would be based off of famous movies, dances, and scenes. I will end up killing people off. I need to if I want to introduce new characters. Expect heroic sacrifices. Setzer may end up becoming unable to fight. He will still be there as the party's tech guy. Cid dies in this version.

Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(01-17-2011, 03:58 PM)SpriterApprentice Wrote: While hacking Final Fantasy VI I realized just how hard it is to tell a new storyline. The problem is that we are bound by a format of FF6's layout. You get the party members the same way, you get to the places the same way, and you will always end up using the same party in the end.

If you learn how to do event hacking and mess around with the maps,I think you can change the whole game, including where you start, where do you want to go, and when you do get characters.

Quote:I have an Idea, a new form of hack. The episodic hack. Instead of getting the whole game, you get a save state with certain characters, certain places and a unique plot. Think TAY. I thought a The After Years style game would be a great idea as a lift off this new genre of hacks.

Generic Plot
Kefka sends evil Kefka Spawns and takes over Espers. Espers attack. You defend world.

That sounds similar to the after years plot Tongue. Will every character during every scenario battle kefka?

Status
None
Such a story line is common in Final Fantasy. Sephiroth having Sephiroth's remnants who controlled Bahumut Sin. Ultimecia controlling other sorceresses and having GFs. Common.

Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Status
None
I hate to be the event spammer on the site, but Angelo really just summed this up nicely ha.
ANYTHING can be changed from FF6's "layout." Really it's not the layout, it's the sequences of events.
If you find an address via Inzogelmo's event dump, go to it in a hex editor, and know the commands, you can make anything happen!
Changing a map's loading sequence is accomplished with 2 (sometimes 3 bytes depending on the map's ID) bytes. Things like making characters move, animate, or setting their position is all action queues. Fading or playing a song or sound effect is accomplished with either the $F0 or $F1 byte.
And placing characters in the party is as simple as creating their base ID via the $3D command and then following up with the $3F command to place a character in a party.
What I mean is, the entire "way" that FF6 is constructed can be changed.
If you do want to learn any of this, I made some videos, Nattak wrote an extensively helpful thread concerning this, and you can always go to SlickProductions.org.
And you can ask me :p
But I'm not the greatest XD

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Status
None
Also 14 Characters per episode..