Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Making a bridge...can't quite get it down..

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey well I'm trying to construct a bridge in Figaro near the beginning segment. Here's a pic to see what it looks like:
[Image: imgshk.png]

What I need to do is make it where the player walks underneath it and they aren't visible, yet they aren't stuck either and then come up on the vertical side.
You know...bridge. XD
I know layer 2 tiles are generally tiles that you can go under and make you invisible while still moving, but after making the entire bridge layer 2, Bartz can't go under it...
I know not too many people use the Level Editor, but if anyone knows how to do this, it's greatly appreciated.
Here's a pic of the Physical Map btw:

[Image: imgshk.png]

Thanks guys...oh and yes I have gone to the tile editor and fiddled with certain things...I just can't get it, and I don't wanna mess up anything.

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
my best advice is wait 4 Nattack 2 come back into the mix he told me 2 give him another week or 3

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
that looks awsome xJCSx Smile

i had the same problem though in the reverse effect, i made the south figaro map diffrent making a bridge 2 the other side them big black gaps and the first 1 came out awsome but when i made the second 1, instead of walking over the tile u walked under it lol
  Find

Status
None
That's what I was thinking, Poco. I suppose I'll do that but man his internet must've just got murdered or something ha.
And thanks FEOK, lol this is actually a very rough sketch of New Figaro - I didn't realize how hard a bridge would be to make so I kinda stopped here.
Ha but that's a cool idea with a bridge in south figaro, I might just do that and make an event square on it that activates during Locke's scenario at Narshe. It'd be pretty cool cuz the guards will attack him Wink
Idk but thanks for the idea ha and the input.
I'll keep fiddling but the thing with editing a tile is that it can actually mess up other things in the game, not to mention Doma Castle shares the exact same tileset as Figaro - so if I make a certain tile walkable in Figaro, it could in turn make a tile in Doma Castle walkable that could freeze the game:/

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
  Find

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
well i'm glad i gave u an idea Smile
u could make it so that when locke crosses the bridge, gaurds come out from both sides and then...random encounter XD

but yeah i didnt know that editing maps was so confusing, i tryed 2 make figaro castle look like baron castle once.....it came out really...weird lol
  Find

Status
None
I suggest u 2 get skype, it would be a lot easier/convenient 4 me n Mike 2 help u guys out

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Cool I'll download it now..but what's your and Nattak's Skype's screename? Mine'll probably be xJCSx or something along the lines of that but I'll update this post and tell u..

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
  Find

Status
None
message me n I got u

-HNIC

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Bridges can be a real pain in the ass! Trust me I know. I'm still having issues with a bridge on one of my custom maps. From that pic I cannot really tell what the tile properties are, or anything at all. I'd need to really look at the map better, and see exactly what tiles are being used for that structure. But hey, I'll try my best.

First of all, have you changed any tile properties? You shouldn't have to, or be changing any, or it will inevitably mess up other maps that use the same tile sets. Figaro is actually kind of an exception though, because it uses its very own tileset. But as a rule, don't mess with the tile properties. Unless you really know what your doing. Don't worry too much though if you do royally #%@$ up a tileset, you can always import whole tilesets back, as well as export them. Look for that option in the top left somewhere. If you feel like messing around and testing stuff, this is a good way to do so.

Secondly, you will need Level 1 tiles to make it walkable. Level 2 tiles, like you said, are basically only for show and are not physical in any way. That's why you cannot edit their properties, they don't have any. If you find yourself walking and vanishing behind a tile, that's a level 2 tile. If you find yourself getting stuck in a tile, getting mad, and having to reset, that's a level 1 tile. I'm pretty sure I remember that all bridges and bridge like structures are made up of level 1 tiles. I mean the actual part where you walk over. The "physical" part. The level 2 tiles are just what make it look like a bridge. It's kind of hard to think this way, but once you do your good. What your doing though is not a wood bridge, so I don't think level 2 tiles are needed. Could be wrong though. Check Doma Castle's bridge areas for reference.

My advice would be to look at how the other bridged areas are done in the game, and what the tile properties are set at, to compare to your structures. You'll have to open up two LE's (if your computer can handle that.) While your working, often disable (uncheck at the top under "view") level 2 tiles to get a much better look at what's going on physically with the map properties, as well as doing the same for the level 1 tiles. This way you can see what tiles are what, making it easier to build carefully. Keeping the physical map checked so you can see the yellow and red is a must also. I see your already doing that.

Bridges and bridge-like structures that you can walk on and under should always be yellow. It looks to me like yours is all red. XD. Keep in mind that there are different shades of yellow and red. Darker yellow tiles are solid and cannot be walked on, but are passable from all four directions. Let me explain more about that.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what the "solid to tier 1 and 2 are, or really any of that stuff; the "Solid tile, cannot be walked on" sounds pretty self explanatory, but it hides a deeper meaning and can be a little misleading... just know that even if that's checked, you can still make the tile passable from any directions, but you can't physically "walk" on it, for instance your character will not pop up from underneath to walk on that tile, like what's happening to you. The actual level 1 bridge tile properties should be a tile that is solid and cannot be walked on, but is also passable from the west, east, north, and south. These tiles are usually at the top left, and are darker yellow.

Red tiles do not have the solid tile property, and are not passable from any direction, that's why your getting stuck. The different shades of the two colors just have different things checked. The non-colored tiles are solid until tier 2, and like I said, I'm not exactly sure what that means, I just know that all the generic property grassy areas use them. They are the "safest" tiles to use, can't get stuck in them. Now, I'm not going to list what is what for every tile, so I'll stop here.

And never put more tiles on a map than it started with or can allocate, or when you save you'll get a horrible error window, and your ROM will never be able to have its levels edited again. So like anything else, make sure to backup your ROM often.

I hope this helps you out, tiles and bridges are very tricky. Good luck, lemme know how it goes.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.