Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Private Messages

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I am not elitist, but I get quite a few PM's regarding hacking FFVI. Some people are wondering why I don't answer PM's here on the forums, or on YouTube. When I designed this forum, I designed it as a haven for FFVI hackers. A home of knowledge and resources at each and everyone's disposal. However, knowledge comes at a reasonable price of "learning". This may seem like a load of crok, but if everyone is taught the easy way with programs and editors than you aren't really learning. You may say "then if you answer the question I asked, I'll of learned it". That is true, but it's only true if the person you ask knows the answer.

I have personally only dabbled in hacking events, but I can teach you all what I have learned. When I say "dabbled", I mean that what I may teach may only work for specific things when hacking FFVI.

You all should know that I am not too busy for you guys, but I also do stuff outside of hacking. I have a girlfriend whom I see almost every day. But that being said, I try to pack in as much stuff to do within the day. I will try to answer as many questions as I can, but please ask here in the public before PMing me. :p
Please ask all of your more complicated questions here in this thread.

Me and her.
[Image: 34569_132623343439205_100000746215339_21...4810_n.jpg]
  Find

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
this thread was designed for me =] and...WHY ARENT YOU SEEING HER EVERYDAY!? GO NOW!!!!

Find

Threads: 33
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
I can understand now. those PM drive me up the wall too.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
whoo I get a bunch myself :p

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 148
Thanks Given: 160
Status
Nattak\'d
Sounds to me like sometimes people just don't like helping out individuals when they need the help, or have a question that they would rather have answered privately by a more learned person than they. Whats the point of having the PM option then? "You may say "then if you answer the question I asked, I'll of learned it". That is true, but it's only true if the person you ask knows the answer."
Well of coarse, thats the way the world works! People ask a question to one that knows or might know the answer, and then respectively in turn teaches others. Like you have done with your tutorials. How many times have we PMed Lenophis for example instead of posting a topic here? Why waist everyones time with a silly post, when I could ask someone, in private, who would most likely know the answer I seek?

Sorry to sound like an ass, Zeemis, seriously I am, (still friends? =p) but I guess I kind of disagree with that logic. Just this once though as you help people more than anyone with your tutorials and such. And in the end it IS up to the individual bieng asked to decide whether or not to help, or at the very least write some kind of response back, so they know that there message has even been acknowledged. It does come off as a bit rude just ignoring a serious question, that one took time to ask, with no response at all...

Annnnnyways, here are a couple questions that I would love some help with...

Any idea where I would find and be able to edit the event CC/988B: 6B? Or any events for that matter?
Is that some kind of hex address? I have the event dump that tells me where all the events are with those numbers, but I cant seem to find where I can edit them. I know CC is a bank, and the 6B = load map command, but what about the 988B? Where and how do I go about editing banks and events.

This one's about the Level Editor. I have always have wondered more about the "memory bits" especially with the treasures.
So there are mem bit #'s 1-7.. Some times choosing a certain memory bit will make another treasure either not exist, (a hidden treasure without a box) Or make another treasure box in another location open with no more treasure inside. My question is what does each mem bit #1-7 do, and what should I put for memory bits to avoid treasure conflicts?
Thanks!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 24
Status
None
Quote:Any idea where I would find and be able to edit the event CC/988B: 6B? Or any events for that matter?
Is that some kind of hex address? I have the event dump that tells me where all the events are with those numbers, but I cant seem to find where I can edit them. I know CC is a bank, and the 6B = load map command, but what about the 988B? Where and how do I go about editing banks and events.

"CC/988B" is a HiROM address(The kind of addressing FFVI uses), to get a standard hex address, subtract 0xBFFE00. In this case you should get "C9A8B."
This is all of course assuming you have a header(which you should likely have), if not than subtract 0xC00000 instead.

Quote:So there are mem bit #'s 1-7.. Some times choosing a certain memory bit will make another treasure either not exist, (a hidden treasure without a box) Or make another treasure box in another location open with no more treasure inside. My question is what does each mem bit #1-7 do, and what should I put for memory bits to avoid treasure conflicts?

Each chest requires a single bit to track whether or not it's been opened. If two chests are set to use the same bit of the same byte, then opening either one will result in the other also being flagged as open.

So unless you want to alter whether or not any chests are linked or not, this value shouldn't really need changing

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 148
Thanks Given: 160
Status
Nattak\'d
Ah, Thank you Drakkhen. I never knew that the "Display Offset" which has been defaulted as "standard" or "linear offset" for the last 2 years of my hex editing escapades, should be switched to "SNES Hi-ROM" >_< I'm sure that will help me find these event addresses much easier Wink
And as for the treasure memory bits, that makes perfect sense, Ty!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.