Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Fanatics Tower Background Fix

Threads: 40
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 46
Status
None
DOWNLOAD

Maybe you noticed, maybe you didn't, but the vanilla battle background of the Fanatics' Tower has a line along the top of the screen above where the wall fades into darkness. Looking at it in FF6Tools without the borders around the edge of the screen, it seems to just be a few lines of pixels; I momentarily thought it may have been intended as a roof, but that makes no sense because no other interiors have a roof in this manner. Anywho, this patch - 1.0, unheadered rom - extends the wall up one tile to remove that unsightly error.

[Image: ZVgd9EK.png][Image: eHOJxIx.png]    [Image: bZ5eZdn.png]
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to DrakeyC for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-10-2024), Gi Nattak (06-02-2024)

Threads: 24
Thanks Received: 28
Thanks Given: 10
Status
Enlight
Thanks for the patch @DrakeyC.

I think the line pattern is actually intentional, though perhaps an ill-advised detail to add.
It seems to be the outer edge of the floor above, and the "fade into darkness" is the shadow being cast by that floor.
This is based on the same location shown in miniature form on the field (see attached image).

IMO this patch would be classified as more of an improvement than a fix.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Status
None
The only issue I take with that theory is that it would be the only battle background with a hint of a roof. Even the Ancient Castle/Figaro Castle Basement has the upper parts of its walls taper into nothingness with no clear indication of a roof. Though that said, it isn't like FF6's dev staff didn't make some design choices here and there that stick out as odd to modders.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 154
Thanks Given: 165
Status
Nattak\'d
This patch seems to be breaking the battle with Ultros on the Airship, right before the Floating Continent. The battle just hangs. So I guess there's something wrong with the right-side airship battle background, because the center one when fighting the IAF monsters has no issues...

I thought it was a conflict issue with my hack, but then I tested on a clean/vanilla ROM and it is there.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
I've fought Ultros in that same battle in my hack and no issue. Are you certain it's this patch?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 154
Thanks Given: 165
Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah, using a clean 1.0 unheadered ROM I apply the patch, and when I enter the battle with Ultros on the airship it hangs at a black screen. It did it for my hack also, so I thought for sure it was some sort of confliction on my side, but trying it with a clean ROM it does the same.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
A note, this was communicated on Discord but the error was fixed and the download is updated (now linking the RHDN page for simplicity)
  Find