Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Project - Final Fantasy VI Rebalanced

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
I've talked about it a lot on the Discord and finally making a thread here - my next major project is a balance overhaul inspired by, and partially based on, Filly Fantasy VI, but definitely its own thing. The intent of this balance mod is not to be punishingly hard, but to notch the difficulty up a bit on the original game, which was very easy. This entails the following:
  • Character abilities rebalanced; OP stuff was nerfed, UP stuff was buffed. This includes changes to Strago's Lore list, Umaro can be equipped but is still a Berserker, some of Gau's Rages have two special attacks, SwdTech charges faster, Mog's Dances never fail, and more. Additionally, everyone has an "ultimate weapon" out there in the world to find.
  • Espers no longer grant level-up bonuses, instead stat boosts comes from equipment. The new equipment system is inspired by Final Fantasy XII - equipment can be sorted into "light", which raises Speed and evasive stats, "heavy", which raises Vigor and HP, and "mage", which rages Magic and MP. But there's still universal equipment of course, and characters not pidgeonholed into just one type of equipment, they have a variety. In fact, numerous characters have new equipment they can use, like Setzer and Shadow using throwing weapons, Cyan can equip swords,
  • Espers teach spells faster, and spells can also be learned from equipment. There are new spells in Water, Wind, and Earth, tier 1.5 and 2.5 spells. You'll need them because enemies have more varied elemental properties than before, so you can't get complacent spamming the same spells every encounter and expecting them to do the job. Defensively, you have access to more elemental Relics to defend against enemies.
  • Speaking of Espers, Raiden is gone and replaced with a new Esper, and some old Espers were changed entirely.
  • Enemies are tougher with higher stats, more active AI scripts (a lot of enemies had null turns or a chance to do nothing, those are largely gone), and bosses especially have some new tricks up their sleeves. The Eight Dragons were buffed to the level of end-game bosses, and the Gold Dragon and Skull Dragon were moved out of Kefka's Tower to other places in the world. You may want to prioritize tracking them down, because Ultima is much more scarce in this mod and Crusader is one of the few ways to learn it.
  • New items - the Hi-Ether is sold in shops, and there's also the Unicorn Horn, which acts as an item version of Dispel that removes magical statuses. There's also the Mega-Potion, which restores 1000 HP to the party, and the Mega-Ether, which restores 50 MP to the party.
  • Some enemies were "swapped" with bosses in the data, so there's no encounters with the likes of the White Dragon, Guard Captain, etc, on the Veldt. But you can now acquire Rages for a couple enemies that didn't have them before, like the Mega Armor.
  • While most of the actual story content is untouched saved for a handful of places that update the localization in relations to gameplay (AtmaWeapon -> Ultima Weapon, dialogue is changed accordingly), Restored Ability Names and Expanded Item Names are included to allow for longer text strings all-around and the names of abilities and items were changed to typical FF standard. While most enemies kept their original names if only to avoid confusion, a couple of them have their "proper" names now (Tonberry, Ahriman, Malboro, etc).
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7917/

This project is also a stepping stone to my magnus opus - the plan is to combine this with my Story Expansion mod, my Dragons' Shrine project, toss in a retranslated script, and release a fully top-to-bottom overhaul of the game, hopefully in time for FF6's 30th anniversary next year.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to DrakeyC for this post:
  • jack5881 (05-02-2023), SSJ Rick (05-03-2023)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
nice job getting this far, good luck with your grander project, I'm looking forward to it

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SSJ Rick for this post:
  • DrakeyC (05-04-2023)

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
The project has been formally released, OP updated with RHDN link.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DrakeyC for this post:
  • jack5881 (07-08-2023)