Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Is there a hack which allows you to skip events and text?

Status
None
Fast forwarding is another option.

I'm not sure how this would work with events that have choices, maybe utilize some flag to determine if the event or some subset of it is skippable or if it can be interpreted/executed as fast as possible, with any timing-related parameters maxed out (assuming they can be maxed out without the whole thing becoming a mess).

I'm also unsure how one would deal with conditionals and writing flags - you'd need some way to interpret/execute that while not interpret/executing the rest.

If it moves stuff around that would create issues too.

I really doubt this is possible.

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
RHDN doesn't have a text-drop hack. Event skipping would be building on that, so I don't think anybody has done it.

Would it be possible? Yes. Practical? No.

Speeding up an event with a button-press is very inefficient, because it means that you have to have two versions of the event... one in which the actor speeds are always set to fastest, and the normal one. It wouldn't be a 'hold the button to speed up' either; a prompt at the start of each event would make it go at full speed until it hit the next choice, and then another prompt would pick up after that until the event was complete. It's clunky and it probably wouldn't feel good to play.

Flat out skipping the events would be less problematic, but still has considerations to take. First, you have to make it a dialogue prompt at the start of the event to determine whether or not the player watches or skips. A selection of "Yes" would have to make the event branch to a subroutine which sets every event bit the original event would have, adds and subtracts party members as the original event would have, and possibly moves the player to the appropriate destination map.

Such setup would have to be personalized to every event in the game, of which there's quite a count. There also probably isn't enough event space in an unexpanded ROM for it. Finally, such action would render the patch incompatible with any other patch that affects the event script. The hacker making it would be better off scraping out the events entirely at that point.
  Find

Status
None
Yeah that's what I figured.