Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Using FF6tools to edit FF5 Advance Dialogue

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Sorry to bother all of you again with my apparent stupidity but, I was using FF6tools online to hack the dialogue of FF5 (GBA). To make sure I wouldn't waste a bunch of time, I only changed 2 lines of dialogue before attempting to save and........... it wouldn't let me save because I somehow exceeded memory capacity? I should state, the dialogue I changed I actually made shorter. How does eliminated dialogue take up MORE space? Any insight will be appreciated. For all I know, the true reason it is happening is because I am using Windows 7?
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Thanks for posting. I tried what you said and I ran into the same problem. I think this was working before, so it must be a bug I introduced recently.

I tried the same thing again on the newest build of FF6Tools and it seems work fine. So it should be fixed next time I update GitHub. I'll let you know when that happens.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • Uncle Beany (04-21-2020)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thanks! I will give a try, most likely tomorrow. I have exhausted my mental reserves trying to get a PSX emulator to work on my computer. I have tried for 10 years and... I still can't get one to work. None of them do. When they do boot up, the crash when the game is loaded. I am so depressed right now but, maybe some game hacking will make me happier tomorrow. Peace.
  Find

Status
None
Sounds great. FF5 Advance is probably the least tested game on FF6Tools, so please let me know if you find any other issues and I'll try to fix them.

I made a lot of under-the-hood changes recently in order to support FF4 Advance, which is a hacking nightmare, and now I'm trying to fix everything that I broke in the process. The live version is still broken, but I'm hoping to make some major fixes in the next couple of days. I've been working on it a lot ever since COVID-19 started, and I can definitely say that hacking helps me maintain my mental health.

Have you tried Mednafen for PSX emulation? It works pretty well for me.
  Find

Status
None
I just updated FF6Tools. You should now be able to save dialog edits for FF5 Advance. There's still no room to expand the string table though, so if it increases in size you will need to either truncate the end of it or overwrite the data that comes after it. I'm not sure what comes after it, I think it might be graphics.
  Find