Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Hi there!

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
Hi everyone!

Just registered, and I thought I'd make the obligatory "Hi there!" topic. I'm an old FF6 hacker, and I've kinda fallen out of hacking for a while, but I am always looking to learn more. Also, it's good to have conversations that don't involve hacking sometimes too. Tongue

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 33
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Well,Hello! WAIT A MINUTE! your name sound familliar...um..O.o!Are you the CURATOR of Awful Fantasy?!Surprised

Status
Weakness
I... don't think so. But I wouldn't be surprised if my name were used in some way... Confused

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Welcome to the site. Smile
  Find

Status
Traitor
I knew I recognized you somewhere, I couldn't my finger on it.
http://www.erick.guillen.com.mx/
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
hey ur in Slick Productions 2 arent u lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Traitor
Will you be making any other patches?
http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/patches.html

I really liked your color coded text one. Smile
How did you do that?
  Find

Status
Weakness
I haven't made any patches in a long time, and currently have not plans to pick it back up.

As for how I did it; well, to gloss over the fine details...

I scoured the C2 bank (which is where the battle calculations are done) and found all the points where the battle engine tells the animation code to draw something. Then I figured out which commands were the ones for drawing the damage/healing numerals. I found the location of the white and green palettes from looking at a list of offsets compiled by Geiger (the maker of SNES9x Dissassembler). Then, I went into the C1 bank (where the battle animations are coded) and found where it loaded the address of the palettes. It turns out that this happens in 2 places (there's a function for when 5 or less targets are hit, where it makes numerals "cascade" and another one for when more than 5 targets are hit, where they land simultaneously).
Anyway, I then had to figure out how the game passes the information for how much damage was done from C2 into C1 for display. I wondered if I could take over one of the bits and use it to mean "magical" (as there's already a bit used to indicate healing vs. damage). However, there just wasn't enough space for that. So, what I ended up doing was coding 2 completely new commands for C2 to pass into C1 (again, for cascading or simultaneous display). It would choose these commands with some custom code in C2, which just checks for the "magic" bit being set and uses my new commands instead of the old ones.
Back in C1, I had to change a pointer table for the case where my new commands got sent (I used 2 commands that already existed, but were just empty, so I didn't actually expand the table). And of course, what I did was point them to the same old code, but at the locations of the code, I checked the command, and if it was one of my new commands, I changed it to another palette.
As it turned out, there was a pink palette and a bluish palette already abutting the white and green ones. The blue one is used for the Reflect barrier, I believe. The pink one is unused as far as I know. I was happy with the pink one, so I left it as-is. The blue one was a little greenish, so I changed it a bit to make it distinct. This of course makes the RFlect barrier a little different color, but I don't think it is *that* much worse (a little worse, in my honest opinion, but not too bad), and the tradeoff is worth it, IMO.
Finally, I put all this into one patch, and tested it. It's been a long time, but I think this was one of a *very* small number of patches to work on the first try.

Yeah, I know... it's a bit verbose. But trust me, this is the condensed version. Laugh

Find

Status
None
(11-25-2009, 01:16 PM)Micki Chiba Wrote: Well,Hello! WAIT A MINUTE! your name sound familliar...um..O.o!Are you the CURATOR of Awful Fantasy?!Surprised
O_O

Threads: 33
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
*looks* O.o xjakk from SOMETHING AWFUL Posted here!