Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Ray of Light

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
I've created enough random threads that I think it's finally time I announced my project. It's kind of a vanilla omni-mod. The idea is to expand content without disrupting canon, add a modest and balanced level of difficulty to the game, remove censorship, and update artwork to more closely resemble Yoshitaka Amano's concept art. Like most of my projects I intend to work on this over a long period of time. The reason I've created this thread is because I want feedback and Ray of Light is still very early enough in it's development that almost anything can be changed. Please comment, criticize, suggest changes, and make requests This mod is supposed to be for the whole community, so I actually want and need your feedback.

Items in green are in progress.
Items in red are complete.

Global Changes:

Character Specific Changes:

Actual Spoiler Content:

Changes that are currently beyond my knowledge

Changes I’m still considering:

Phases of Development:
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
The party targeted Joker Doom spell is removed... what about the one that targets the enemies? It will be broken if unchanged.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Brave
(04-03-2017, 09:50 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: The party targeted Joker Doom spell is removed... what about the one that targets the enemies?  It will be broken if unchanged.

Is it that easy to hit 777 with unrigged slots?
  Find

Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(04-03-2017, 10:34 PM)Timbo Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 09:50 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: The party targeted Joker Doom spell is removed... what about the one that targets the enemies?  It will be broken if unchanged.

Is it that easy to hit 777 with unrigged slots?

If you pause buffer it becomes pretty easy.  Even if you aren't willing to pause buffer, it's doable enough that a player could cheese any boss they aren't a fan of if they are good at timing, which is weird in an FF6 hack.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Brave
As I see it, there are a couple problems with Slots in vanilla. First, it is rigged so unlike, Blitz, your outcome is out of your control. Second, it's rigged so you'll almost always get Lagomorph, 7-Flush, or Chocobop. Un-rigging the command, puts the power back in the hands of the player, but crafty and good players can exploit the system to get Joker Dooms on demand which not only ruins the game but makes all of the other outcomes meaningless.

It seems like the best course of action is to un-rig the command and balance it out so that even Lagomorph and all of the commands after it are successively more useful without going over the top. 777 and 77Bar will still be in the system but Joker Doom is going to die. I'm not sure what to put in its place yet.
  Find

Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
I must be in the minority because I can never get the slot results I want in an UNrigged game. Rigged slots make Setzer useful because he can actually do damage on a semi-regular basis in my hands.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
I know that if you're still working on this project, that you're likely trying to figure out how to add more room and whatnot. There are two places in the ROM that can be essentually removed entirely to make a LOT more room. The first is the character-class-name and Bushido-skill names that were renameable in the japanese version. The second place is the entire Cyan scenario in the WoR (which can be reworked into a MUCH smaller coding scenario than what it currently is), as PowerPanda delightfully pointed out. These two areas would give you a LOT of extra room to add your own things in.

Also, JCE3000GT made a document showing other unused spaces in the ROM as well. Here's a link for that. https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3489.html

As for Relm's Sketch, the two big problems with it is #1. It relies on the Monster's stats, and #2. It pulls info for what to do from a list with only two attacks (same situation as with Gau's rages).

seibaby provided an ASM coding-patch (in text format you have to copy/paste into an asm file, no direct patches available atm) for how to change Sketch to use Relm's stats. https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3478.html

There has also been a patch made expanding the Sketch and Rage list by using the "Control" list (as it has four options to use instead of two). https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1395/

It may be possible for you to also remove those unneeded Rage and Sketch lists if you're using the Control-list as a "Master" list for those two commands, which would allow you to do more things with the extra room.

As for what you can replace Joker Doom with, have you considered a Bad Breath type of status attack? Something usable even on Bosses?
  Find

Status
Brave
I had some major life stuff happen shortly after starting work on this hack. It's not currently being worked on, but it's not dead. In fact, I've been thinking about it lately. I expect I'll resume work on it soon. There will be some revisions.

One of the big problems I hadn't considered is that the game's the ending has that big character theme medley and it's not easily changeable. The problem is when you add new characters their musical themes cannot be inserted into the games ending.

This is kind of a deal-breaker for me. The core of Final Fantasy 6 is Uemetsu's music. In addition to it being nearly impossible for me, changing it would feel like blasphemy.

However, it has recently occurred to me that I could insert a new character into someone else's ending scenario, so long as the new character was dependant on the old character for recruitment.
  Find