Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi! I'm brand new to the mod but have been enjoying the heck out of it! It's been 20 years since I played the original game.

Where is the new Leviathan magicite? I've been having difficulty finding it in the World of Ruin.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
(03-29-2024, 09:51 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: Let's see if you can make some time to finish v2.0 of Divergent Paths.

I'm thinking v2.0 is probably not going to happen. It was really just adding in community stuff, like MSU and Retro Achievements. I have a couple of bugfixes to put into a v1.5, but then I'm probably going to be done. I love FFVI, and I'm proud of Divergent Paths, but I need this to be a closed book that doesn't get re-opened.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Thanks Received: 1
Status
None
I just wanted to say I finished this game for the second time a few days ago (I first played it in 2021). Once again, I just wanted to thank you PowerPanda, this is an incredible hack. Everything feels better and is more satisfying in this version of Final Fantasy VI. This time, I particularly noticed how much fun it was collecting all the extra NPCs for my airship: not only does that give you more things to do in the World of Ruin (which can sometimes feel a bit bare in vanilla), I love how it jokingly finishes off the Siegfried and Maria storylines. It's a great touch. I also really like Kappa, who I didn't get to use much in my first playthrough. There's nothing spectacular about her as a character, but tonally it's super fun to get the tutorial character to join the team at the end. She also works great gameplay-wise: with so many characters all competing for the best equipment, it's really helpful to get another Umaro-like character who already has their best equipment and can be run without taking good items from other characters. 

Oh, I also liked how Quake, Flood, and Tornado formed a "powerful elemental magic" trio. It made it really easy to train new people to learn just one of these, and while they might not be as flexible as the other members of your team, their ability to sink unused MP into a pretty strong attack all spell worked really nicely from a gameplay perspective. 

I never found the Shock Gauntlets, and I'm still curious where more Blue Magic is hidden before the final dungeon. So there are definitely more things for me to discover in the game. But now that I've got a physical copy of Divergent Paths, it's my new version of Final Fantasy VI. I won't be playing any other version.

I know you're not going to work on another version, and that's fine, but as I was playing through, one changed occurred to me (besides my old suggestions of making Stamina do something and putting a boss battle at the Gate Opening sequence). During the razing Vector scene, I realized that it'd be really cool if you fought Espers that you pick up in the World of Ruin, rather than the four elemental fiends. Saying you fought Terrato, Palidor, Fenrir, and Golem, for instance. Then when you pick them up later in the game, you know the story of how they died. It feels like it could pull together another small plot thread. Just a thought. 

Anyway, thank you again! I hope your current projects are going as well as this one did!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Asmorano for this post:
  • PowerPanda (04-01-2024)

Status
None
Yeah, Kappa's a lot of fun, isn't she? I added her for the specific reasons you listed above. A fully new character in the WoR is just competing for attention with all of the others. However, a character that comes more or less fully-formed can just slide into your party. I thought about that exact suggestion for the Razing of Vector, but the point is that you DON'T end up killing the 1st 3 Espers. So I thought about what the espers should look like--especially the one that died. When the 4 fiends show up in other games, it's not uncommon for the poison/dark elemental fiend to be the only one that dies, and that's what sealed the deal for me. It also allowed me to use the Czar Dragon sprite.

The Shock Bangles can be found in the Ancient Castle, in the chest where you would have originally gotten the Blizzard Orb. I wanted it to be obtained in the "Leo dungeon" of the WoR.

And thanks for the continued support!

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Thanks Received: 1
Status
None
(03-31-2024, 06:15 PM)coppersquire Wrote: Hi! I'm brand new to the mod but have been enjoying the heck out of it! It's been 20 years since I played the original game.

Where is the new Leviathan magicite? I've been having difficulty finding it in the World of Ruin.

I think it was where Terrato used to be in the original game? I don’t remember for sure, but try going to get Umaro.
  Find

Status
None
Yeah, Leviathan is in Terrato's location. Terrato has been moved to be a reward for beating the Dirt Dragon in the Opera House.

Projects:
  Find