Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Quasar messes up Tornado's graphics

Threads: 13
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
This is referring to the bug detailed here, where W Wind turns into a weird pattern of vertical stripes. I've found the problem, and it's in the animation scripts. Quasar changes the shape of the HDMA scroll window for its rotating vertical line effect and doesn't reset it afterwards, which leaves W Wind looking weird. However, there are some other spells that do clean up the scroll window, so if you cast one of them after casting Quasar, then W Wind will look normal.

I know how to fix this: I need to add an HDMA cleanup command in the animation script, and I can do it either at the end of Quasar's script or the beginning of W Wind's. What I'd like to know first is if there are any other spells whose animations are affected by Quasar. There are a handful of spells that use the HDMA scroll window in the BG1 layer, like Bio, Flare Star, Pearl Wind and Goner. I've tested all four of those and found no change.

I think the rest of those spells do have an HDMA cleanup in their scripts, so I would be amazed to find out that there's another spell besides Quasar that messes up W Wind.

EDIT: After further testing, I found that Spiraler also gets messed up in the same way as W Wind after Quasar is cast. Now I have everything I need to implement my fix, but still, if anyone finds any other HDMA anomalies like this, let me know!

EDIT: I have made a patch to fix the bug. You can download it here!
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to 13375K37CH3R for this post:
  • DrakeyC (12-10-2017), seibaby (10-03-2017), SSJ Rick (10-02-2017), Warrax (12-07-2017)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Oh I'm glad you found the cause of this.

Not too related but Phoenix summon tend to cause glitches, I think it's related to the background as I only seen it glitch during Final Kefka fight and Kefka Tower (outside) background (mainly with GtBehemoth/Malboro/Vectaur formation).
  Find

Status
None
Can you attach a screenshot or a video or something so we can verify/understand?

Status
None
Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the problem, I've done a couple of attempts but gave no results so I suspect this is triggered by something else I haven't figured yet.
  Find

Status
None
(10-01-2017, 02:32 PM)13375K37CH3R Wrote: Can you attach a screenshot or a video or something so we can verify/understand?

Someone was able to reproduce the problem, look here:

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3572.html
  Find

Status
None
I don't see anything unusual in the animation script. This is going to take some next-level debugging to trace.

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
i have no clue what's going on, but it reminds me somewhat of the issues where hackers would try to assign too much to a monster formation mold (or fail to fully reconfigure its data), or where an otherwise packed-but-safe mold was met with a Magitek Armor team.  maybe the large enemy + Phoenix + shields are too much for some limit?

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
Yes, it does looks like some VRAM corruption due to overflow. Similar things happens when you multitarget Flare. I suspect a lack of bounds checking somewhere.
  Find

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Happy to see this fixed. I recall someone laughing that the bug is comparatively underexplored because no one really uses W Wind. Also thanks for the technical info, can make a FFWiki page for it now!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I don't think this's been fixed as of yet.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.