Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Question]Config Menu

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Faith
Hello, 

I have a (rather silly) question. You know in the config menu where you can sort the order of your spell list? How do I change the names of the magic types? 

Ex. 
Attack > Black
Healing > White
Effect > Gray 

Thanks in advance for your time reading this.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Hi there, and welcome!

For that you will need to use a hex editor, and then to make editing them easier load up a ff6 'table file', the battle one to be exact. Found here: http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/F...3usTbl.zip
Then navigate to 34AD0 (C34AD0) in the ROM and you should see them there and you can re-write them right there if there is enough room, which there is using your examples. If you've no experience using a hex editor it still might be a little tricky, so feel free to ask for further assistance if need be.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Faith
Thanks for the quick reply (and never mind my previous fail, clearly I don't know how to use a search function).

So, I managed to edit the strings. I know it's just a small achievement, but I feel all powerful now. XD
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
The header makes it +200 to the offset, the offset given was assuming it was without the header. So it'd be at C34CD0 then. You can remove the header if need be in the Edit tab of the hex editor. But with the header you'd need to search offset 34CD0, leave out the C. I'm not entirely sure though how you got to that offset... Alternatively, you can do a 'text search' for the word in question once you load the table file, such as 'Effect', and it'll bring you to it.

It's recommended to not use the 1.1 version of the ROM, though, 1.0 is the one that everyone uses and bases their patches on etc. If it's not too late you should really consider going with a 1.0.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Blunderpuggs (05-03-2017)

Status
Faith
Tried the 1.0 version and totally found the first offset at the first try.
I was using the 1.1 version 'cause that was the one I already had on my gdrive. Luckily, my hack project is still pretty much on the drawing table, so no progress lost. XD

Thanks!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Right on, very good to hear! Looking forward to hearing more about your project when that time comes. Smile