Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Music Player

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Something I noticed when patching that I am not sure has anything to do with how it's assembled, but I noticed that apostrophes end up spacing out weird. Something like "Terra's Theme" is spelled out like "Terra" then 00 00 00 in HEX (which end the lines) then "s Theme." It was an easy fix in a HEX editor but I wanted to give you the heads up in case anyone come across this.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-12-2017, 12:06 AM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Something I noticed when patching that I am not sure has anything to do with how it's assembled, but I noticed that apostrophes end up spacing out weird.

Thanks! The first time I used them with a copy / paste from the table (character $C3) they showed ok in game. You did not used the regular apostrophe, it seems to be the good character. I suspect Dropbox or Firefox may have converted the table apostrophe into one resembling a lot but not being the same character. When I saved the file this morning, I couldn't assemble the code because there were unknown hidden characters at the beginning of the file, I had to open the file in my browser and copy / paste after the commented header (copying only the song titles). Then it finally worked. I'm always using the same assembler so we can discard this.

Anyway, I'll need to fix my patch somehow. I'll try a batch replace in notepad++ with the table apostrophe. Worst case I'll hex edit but I'd like to have a good ASM file. Thanks for the notice!
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
(03-11-2017, 12:22 AM)Madsiur Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 11:35 PM)Timbo Wrote: Could this be expanded to include an option to temporarily change or disable the map or default battle song as well?

Just replacing 24 (first entry) by FF here should do the trick. The other more tedious way is edit every regular formation. For randomness, see this thread.

Code:
C2/BF3B: 24 (Battle Theme)
C2/BF3C: 14 (Boss Theme)      
C2/BF3D: 33 (Atma Weapon)
C2/BF3E: 2E (Returner)        
C2/BF3F: 1A (Factory)          
C2/BF40: 3B (Final)          
C2/BF41: FF (current 1)
C2/BF42: FF (current 2)

Okay, I'm definitely confused here. My understanding is that the hack adds a music box that plays a song of your choice while in the menu.

I'm guessing that replacing 24 with FF makes the basic battle formation song play whatever you've chosen in the music box menu. Is that what you are suggesting?

What I was proposing was that in addition to playing in the menu the song would continue in play when you exit the menu and into battle until it was cued to change up by either entering a new area or until cued to change based on an event or battle with a special musical theme. Does this make sense?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-12-2017, 03:53 AM)Timbo Wrote: I'm guessing that replacing 24 with FF makes the basic battle formation song play whatever you've chosen in the music box menu. Is that what you are suggesting?

This just skip the battle theme and continue playing whatever song was playing before battle. I thought this is what you wanted.

(03-12-2017, 03:53 AM)Timbo Wrote: What I was proposing was that in addition to playing in the menu the song would continue in play when you exit the menu and into battle until it was cued to change up by either entering a new area or until cued to change based on an event or battle with a special musical theme. Does this make sense?

This proposition assume you use the music player on the world map. It could be done by coding additional exceptions outside the music player code but I don't see it as a flexible option, relying on specific song IDs... It could also be done with a bit check but I'm not planning to add such a feature.
  Find

Status
None
Has anyone tested if this works okay on ZSNES? I don't even use that emulator (it won't work properly on Windows 10) but a lot of folks are having difficult using it with the custom Music Player in Woolsey Uncensored. They are saying the names won't show up.

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-14-2017, 02:38 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Has anyone tested if this works okay on ZSNES?

This is one of my last concern. I don't understand why people still use that emulator, since it is well known for his inaccuracy. I never test my hacks on it, if my hack work on snes9x and bsnes / Higan, I know it has 99.9% chances of working with original hardware.
  Find

Status
None
(03-14-2017, 04:31 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 02:38 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Has anyone tested if this works okay on ZSNES?

This is one of my last concern. I don't understand why people still use that emulator, since it is well known for his inaccuracy. I never test my hacks on it, if my hack work on snes9x and bsnes / Higan, I know it has 99.9% chances of working with original hardware.

I completely agree. Why it wouldn't work on it though is beyond me. We know it works on snes9x and Higan and I've given a disclaimer and folks still want to use ZSNES. grumble grumble...

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-14-2017, 05:05 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: I completely agree. Why it wouldn't work on it though is beyond me. We know it works on snes9x and Higan and I've given a disclaimer and folks still want to use ZSNES. grumble grumble...

On top of this, there is no build of zsnes with a debugger so it's really hard to find the instruction(s) that pose problem on zsnes. You have to go with trial and error, retest on other emulators after which come up to a waste of time IMO.

Edit: Gi Nattak reported me the original music player and the one made for RotDS work in zsnes 1.51. The only things that differs with your patch is the starting offset of the code and the fact that I've used your file on dropbox for the song names (which will be the file used in the original one when I update my patch). I'll make a quick test on zsnes this week to get a clear idea.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
the weird thing is, ZSNES actually has a debugger you can enter with some key combo (in the DOS version, anyway); it's just entirely unusable.

EDIT: okay, byuu figured out how to use this turd eons ago:
http://archive.is/fDHWG

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Hmm, okay I see now. The names do not show up with config 1 and config 2 with ZSNES, it's true. Main, however, does show the names, where the Music player in in the main menu instead.

So yes there is an issue with the names showing up with ZSNES, with the player in the Config menu.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.