Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Redrawing the ROM map

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
When I say expanded maps, I mean both larger maps and more maps. Basically, more space for the entire set of maps. It almost feels like the developers cut some maps to make the game fit in the bank space they had. Of course, the whole release schedule also seems a bit rushed...

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 21
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I like this discussion. I made a wiki page listing expansion projects: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...expansions
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to m06 for this post:
  • Imzogelmo (06-10-2016), madsiur (06-10-2016), SSJ Rick (06-16-2016)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-09-2016, 12:15 AM)m06 Wrote: I like this discussion. I made a wiki page listing expansion projects: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...expansions

Really neat Smile

This will be helpful when deciding how to reorganize everything!
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
adding extra character slots and more portraits is also a nice thought

even adding more spells, items and monster formations would be freaking awesome (thats asking for a lot I know but hey I'll admit to acting like a spoiled little fat kid in a candy store wanting every freakin thing I find appealing LMFAO)

but my pipe dream for an expansion would be for graphics (weapon and spell graphics in particular (this would also mean re-organizing them so that anyone can edit the weapons/spells much easier especially for new spriters))

but that is asking for too much even for me lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
I've never really looked at the layout of graphics but I'd bet that it already uses a 16-bit pointer, so honestly that would probably be one of the easier things to do (sure, stuff would still have to be moved, but that's the case with anything).

Items and spells, to me, would be the hardest, but I know they did it with the GBA version. I'd love to see (and understand) the assembly code changes that let that happen. With spells in particular, it seems you'd *have* to expand the SRAM space (and yes, I know that there is unused space in the SNES version). It's not really the SRAM so much as the WRAM and menu stuff that seems like the real stumbling block.

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Imzogelmo for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (06-16-2016)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
good to know about the graphics as for the rest I feel the efforts will all be worth it

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC