Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A few battle-related questions

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
First, I wanted to know if a weapon's hit rate was 200, does this mean their attacks connect 200% of the time? If they're blinded, this would reduce their hit rate to 100%, which would make blind rather useless (only enemies with any evasion whatsoever would be an issue), right? Or I'm missing something out here? Does hit-rate affect anything else other than accuracy, maybe? Critical Hits?

I planned to reduce the hit rate values of most weapons to something lower so enemies that are supposed to evade a lot, actually feel like it. Or would it be more efficient to just make enemies more evasive instead?

My other issue I had, would it be possible to have "physical" magic attacks, ones that use the user vigor and target defense stats to calculate damage (I'm aware there is a check to make spells calculate physical defense)? I changed Blitz to do physical blows and the character that uses it has fittingly no magic power but a lot of vigor to use it, and it would hurt the character to waste all her vigor for magic.

Vigor brings me to my final question: I've heard many times that Vigor was a "useless" stat (one of them in the "What's currently hot" section before the site update). I wonder, is it bugged, or simply does work very little to be noticeable? Is there a patch or a way to make it more like how the Magic stat affects Magic effects? Thanks in advance guys!

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Hit rate of 200 would be 200/256 I presume, which is not 100%.

That's the only thing I can answer without putting my foot in my mouth I think. XD
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I can't say for sure, but I don't think that's true. If that were true, then many of the weapons in the game would only hit half the time against an enemy with no evasion, which isn't the case.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
You can consult this faq. It details the algorithms used for the game. It includes the hit rate determination and the damage algorithm for physical and magical damage. You can check how the vigor and magic status are used by the damage algorithm.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to HatZen08 for this post:
  • Kugawattan (03-19-2016), madsiur (03-21-2016)

Status
Charmed
Thanks! This looks really useful, I'll look into it asap!

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-19-2016, 10:27 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I can't say for sure, but I don't think that's true.  If that were true, then many of the weapons in the game would only hit half the time against an enemy with no evasion, which isn't the case.

You're right; Hit rate is cut in half then can be having a 1/4 boost on certain conditions I think to determine if attack hits. I haven't studied the code deeply. However a 255 hit rate from the start  has a 100% chance of hit, it won't be truncated in half like any value below 255 according to what I saw quickly in the code.
  Find

Status
Charmed
Hm. From what I've seen, the basic damage formula is
Attack = Battle Power + Vigor * 2

But since Vigor can't go over 255 while weapons can reach that amount...
255 (Illumina) + 60*2 = 375, 375*2 = 750
255 (Illumina) + 120*2 = 495

Ergo having double Vigor doesn't even make you do double damage, just 66% more damage. Couple this with the fact that blitzes and Swdteches do magic damage (something I want to look at too, if you guys can help), I can totally see why people would call vigor rather useless.

Ideas to make it more viable? I know it can be done, there was a hack that did so, though those guys probably are much better at this than me, by far.
Anyway, I though of lowering the max amount of dmg you can get from a weapon, like
150 + 60*2 = 270, 270*2 = 540
150 + 120*2 = 390
...but that is just a measly 72%, which is fine, but too shabby, not to mention it would make magic even stronger (though I can lower the power of spells tho).

Then again...I'm not even sure how to edit any of this :V

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
What about: Weapon dmg + Vigor * 3 = dmg - weapon dmg

Then the same with spell power and magic stat.

Okay, probably be a better formula or method, but the concept is just subtract weapon/spell dmg after the normal formula. Why do extra figure after normal formula? Thinking it could be done without actually breaking into the normal formula at all, just an extra line after normal calculation.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
Charmed
Vigor * 3? Vigor can't be higher than 255 apparently, so Vigor * 3 would make sense until the max would be 85, which is low considering Magic can go to 255 :P
I'm not sure how substracting weapon/spell dmg in the formula works, I mean, wouldn't that mean that stronger spells get progressively weaker? I'm too stupid to figure this out I think.

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
The purposed idea of multiply vigor + weapon by 3, then subtracting the base weapon value leaves: vigor *3 + wep dmg *2 = actual dmg.

Same concept as multiply by the vanila 2, the key point was subtracting the base wa
eapon dmg after the dmg power value was figured would be effectivly be 2 parts vigor, one part weapon. OR if *3 it would still leave 3 parts vigor and 2 weapon.
As for magic if you consider the spell as the "weapon", subtracting spell power after the normal math, you'd put, instead of equal parts being factored in, your stats would account for 3/5 dmg, while weapon/spell 2/5 dmg. Or even 3/4 stat, 1/4 weapon/spell.

I hate math, that's why I said my formulas probably suck, stat*2 + weapon/spell = dmg would probably be more to the point. Still it should be making stats more important than weapons.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find